Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting my feet wet with asphalt sealing.

A few of my customers have asked if I could seal their driveways. I was thinking of just buying some sealer from Home Depot and doing it until I read this forum. Now I am going to be contacting an asphalt supply distributor. I'd like to know some things first.

1.) Why isn't the stuff from Home Depot any good? Is it cause it is latex?
2.) What is the best way to fill cracks?
3.) What should I know before I go to the distibutor?
4.) Do most distrubors have containers that you can buy, pre-packaged available?

I'm hoping to get some more work as a result of being visible in these neighborhoods. My customers have already agreed to my estimates of $100, $250 and $275 for 20x18, 20x50, 24x45.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like your getting about .26 per square foot, which is good, now heres something to think about, if you pay 12.95 per 5 gal bucket @ HD you can expect to cover on an average 80 square foot per gal. thats approx, 400 square foot per bucket. Assuming that you have the squeegee and broom that first job should only take you about a half our to forty five minutes, that pretty good money per hour. Now the asphalt Co., do not supply containers so you would have to get your own then you have to transfer it to buckets or on driveway. I'm guessing that you don't have a hot crack filler, if not you can use the stuff at HD to get you by for now. Do some research on the inernet thats what i did and found a load of info, good luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The forecast is not favorable for sealing this week, constant chance of thundershowers, but... that makes conditions favorable for planning on how to do it and to do it properly and profitably.

Are there any websites that you recommend?
Back to the asphalt supplier, what kind of container would suffice? 55 gal drum? or would something like that be out of the question?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I heard that people used 55 gal drums however they recommend having a 4 inch top opening. as far as web sites i can't remember any one site.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Get ahold of Sealmaster. They are one of the largest suppliers of sealcoating materials and equipment in the country.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

A Little Help

As far as pricing is concerned look at your local paper and see what other sealer are quoting in thier ads (example, 1000 sq ft for $109.00) that works ot to $.109 cent per sq ft which is good in upstate New York for residential driveways. Commercial applications average around $.06 per sq ft. As far as a tank goes I have used the buckets from HD, as a beginner its hard because they have sand in them and you have to make sure the sand is througouly mixed so you don't get rough or raised patchs. Tanks are the best, you can buy your product in bulk (see sealmaster.com and look for a supplier in your area). Search the web for seal coating equipment and find tank suppliers or just go to Tractor Supply and get the round 325 gallon plastic tank with legs, buy the 3.5 hp sludge pump and enough T's, 90's, unions, and hosing to plum your tank so the pump recirculates the product back into the tank (fitting out of the bottom of the tank to a T one part of the T goes to the pump the other to a on/off valve, from the pump Out-Side another hose and fitting back to the top of the tank you'll have to use a hole cutter and make your own new opening on the top of the tank use the pump to mix and recirculate your product. This set-up will cost you around $700.00. Or you can just go over to Tarvia Seal in Syracuse and buy a steel tank all set up for sealing for about $1,500.00. Either way you will need a 3500# trailer to get it around. As far as brush or squeege, the squeege does not leave anough product on your customers driveway, get the 3' brush with the 7' aluminum handle ($75.00) you will also need a steel broom and good blower and weed eater. Good luck
Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I got a 150 dollar solution for a tank. The most expensive part was the 2" hose. I didn't want the wire inside the hose but that's all they have after 1.5". So, a 55 gallon drum. 2" floor flange(plumbing), 4 bolts for the flange. Some type of gasket material. cut a hole closest to the bottom of the barrel. use the 2" nipple and attach a 2" valve, brass or pvc. brass will last longest. after the valve use another nipple and then get either a union joint or a quick connect joint. for quick connect the hose (male) goes into the female (mounted last on plumbing assembly). there are 2 levers that lock the male side into the coupler. this has worked now for a couple seasons but only a few jobs a week. after you get bigger jobs you just make more barrels. For spreading use a Tampico bristle brush. they work beautifully. Add the sand, or slag. black beauty is a good product. the sand is a selling point for traction during the winter. Brewer cote sells a good cold app. crack filler. mount a peice a squeeg onto a broom stick and start spreading the filler. use the same technique as if you were taping drywall. throw the slag, sand over the filler and then seal right over it.
One good tip, don't get sealer on your skin. I had it on the back off my hand on day and was wiping the sweat off my face all day. about 3 hours after I thought I had sunburn I woke up and my face was so swollen my mom rushed me to the ER. chemical burn, Also have deisel gas on site, If you make a mistake Whoops, jsut use the diesel like a degreaser. it's cheaper than what the suppliers sell and works the same.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

One thing I forgot, the dillution rates are based on ash content at bulk suppliers, the only prepackaged materials at suppliers are traffic paint and crack filler. An edger will work better than just a weed wacker. I hook my customers up and use a 80/20, sealer to water mix. The guys who spray the sealer dillute more, but that's why they go back to the customers ever two years or more.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

also for estimating purposes use 55 ft/gal. as a base. new aspalt or well maintained may go about 60sqft and really bad ones will make it about 50. the only bad thing about using the 55 gallon drum is if you over estimate the tank will be so dead weight you'll be so discouraged. The coverage of sqft is based on total gallons so when you do the math for the total sealer then figure before you go to the supplier about how much sealer and water. First time I ordered, I had so much extra material that I did the neighbor just so I could get rid of the stuff. Good luck
Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks GSLawn, Americanseal, DJ contracting, you've been really helpful.