Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RestroRob, help :)

My dads got a Cub Cadet lawn mower, with a 17 hp Briggs. It started blowing the inline fuse on the ignition wire whenever he turned the key to start.

When I bypass the start solinoid and bridge right to the starter, it runs fine.

My only thought is that the start solinoid is shot and allowing the starter to try to pull tons of amps through the 14 guage ignition wire?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHolland
My dads got a Cub Cadet lawn mower, with a 17 hp Briggs. It started blowing the inline fuse on the ignition wire whenever he turned the key to start.

When I bypass the start solinoid and bridge right to the starter, it runs fine.

My only thought is that the start solinoid is shot and allowing the starter to try to pull tons of amps through the 14 guage ignition wire?
Remove the smaller start wire from the ignition switch off the solenoid and see if the fuse blows again, If not I would say the solenoid is shorted, If it does,Go to the ignition switch, unplug the switch and check for burnt or rusty looking connections. If the positive spade on the switch is rusty do not try to clean it the damage is already done just replace it,You may be able to clean the connector in the plug and get by with it if not it will need to be replaced also. If these are fine the next step is to trace the start wire from the switch to the solenoid for a short someplace.
keep me posted how you make out.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrorob
Remove the smaller start wire from the ignition switch off the solenoid and see if the fuse blows again, If not I would say the solenoid is shorted, If it does,Go to the ignition switch, unplug the switch and check for burnt or rusty looking connections. If the positive spade on the switch is rusty do not try to clean it the damage is already done just replace it,You may be able to clean the connector in the plug and get by with it if not it will need to be replaced also. If these are fine the next step is to trace the start wire from the switch to the solenoid for a short someplace.
keep me posted how you make out.

The smaller line on the solinoid powers everything on the mower but the starter, Are you saying to hook that one directly to the battery? Otherwise disconnecting that one from the solinoid disconnects it from the battery.

I already traced the entire wire harness looking for rust/burn markes, as well as removing the key switch (and for good measure the blade clutch switch) and checking all the electrical connections.

Down on the engine, I checked every connection for burn marks/rust and everything looked good.

I took the solinoid out and asked my dad to see if he could get a lawnmower shop to test it before he spent any cash on another one,.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHolland
The smaller line on the solinoid powers everything on the mower but the starter, Are you saying to hook that one directly to the battery? Otherwise disconnecting that one from the solinoid disconnects it from the battery.

I already traced the entire wire harness looking for rust/burn markes, as well as removing the key switch (and for good measure the blade clutch switch) and checking all the electrical connections.

Down on the engine, I checked every connection for burn marks/rust and everything looked good.

I took the solinoid out and asked my dad to see if he could get a lawnmower shop to test it before he spent any cash on another one,.
Sorry, I was refering to the small start wire thats on the small post on the soleniod, If you have already done the above checks then you are headed in the right direction with the solenoid check- out.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!