Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-02-2005, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Steep hill and engine prob.

This lawn I do has a very steep hill and when I take my Scag 61" hydro WB down it to start going from side to side the engine spits and sputters. I guess I flooded it or something along the lines of that. I would go up and down but, there is a wood fence at the bottom and I'm afraid that it would act up again and I would go plowing right through the fence; Plus I'm not sure it would even make it. I am forced to use my 21" on this hill which is a pain. The mower has a 20 HP Kohler magnum engine. Can someone help me figure out whats wrong with this thing? If anybody could help me out I would Greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Full tanks?

May be a gas pick up problem. Try it with fuel tanks completely full and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

My tank was full at that time.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, then that was not the problem. So much for simple solutions. Simple minds ,like mine, can only come up with simple solutions. So I guess I am no help.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 questions:

1/ if you turn around and mow in the other direction does it do it?

2/ when it starts sputtering, if you get to a flat area quick, does it straighten out right away??

Is it possible that the float in the carb is sticking when you reach a certain angle??
Old 07-03-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyc
2 questions:

1/ if you turn around and mow in the other direction does it do it?

2/ when it starts sputtering, if you get to a flat area quick, does it straighten out right away??_______________________________________________________________
Is it possible that the float in the carb is sticking when you reach a certain angle??
1/ Yes it does do it in the other direction.

2/ There is no way I can get to a flat area quick. The person on the right has a chain-link fence, at the bottom there is a wooden fence, and the person on the left has just as steep of hill.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTnLC
This lawn I do has a very steep hill and when I take my Scag 61" hydro WB down it to start going from side to side the engine spits and sputters. I guess I flooded it or something along the lines of that. I would go up and down but, there is a wood fence at the bottom and I'm afraid that it would act up again and I would go plowing right through the fence; Plus I'm not sure it would even make it. I am forced to use my 21" on this hill which is a pain. The mower has a 20 HP Kohler magnum engine. Can someone help me figure out whats wrong with this thing? If anybody could help me out I would Greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Sounds like when you get on too much of a angle the carb. is wanting to flood out. If you hate doing it with your 21" , You can drop the float bowl and adjust the float to lower the level of fuel. This mite or mite not do it but it may be worth a try.
BTW, Part # 200375 is the bowl o-ring and part # 25 041 02 is the bowl baffle should you need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does your Scag 61" hydro WB have an low oil shut down on it? I have seen that cause the problem you are having more than a few times. The angle trips the low oil shut down. And it could be the carb as you have been told. I just had a rider acting up on a customer likie that and could not find the problem he was having. I had to start the mower up and with it running jack up the front end until the engine started acting up. I had to raise the front end about about 40* before it acted up. I told him there was nothing wrong with the mower and he was just pushing it beyond what it was ment to do. How much of a angle are we talking about here?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67
Does your Scag 61" hydro WB have an low oil shut down on it? I have seen that cause the problem you are having more than a few times. The angle trips the low oil shut down. And it could be the carb as you have been told. I just had a rider acting up on a customer like that and could not find the problem he was having. I had to start the mower up and with it running jack up the front end until the engine started acting up. I had to raise the front end about about 40* before it acted up. I told him there was nothing wrong with the mower and he was just pushing it beyond what it was meant to do. How much of a angle are we talking about here?
No, I don't think it has the low oil shut down. The angle we are talking about is maybe around 30*( taking a wild stab at it) The engine has probably seen better days but, for now it has to last me. Oh BTW, today when I was mowing with it on flat ground the engine acted like it lost all power so I disengaged the cutter deck( manually, Does not have PTO switch) and I slammed the throttle down to low idle; it sounded like something chattering. This is a completely different prob. than the hill situation. Trust me if I could get a new engine I would jump on it but like I said, this is gonna have to last me for awhile. All help is appreciated!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTnLC
No, I don't think it has the low oil shut down. The angle we are talking about is maybe around 30*( taking a wild stab at it) The engine has probably seen better days but, for now it has to last me. Oh BTW, today when I was mowing with it on flat ground the engine acted like it lost all power so I disengaged the cutter deck( manually, Does not have PTO switch) and I slammed the throttle down to low idle; it sounded like something chattering. This is a completely different prob. than the hill situation. Trust me if I could get a new engine I would jump on it but like I said, this is gonna have to last me for awhile. All help is appreciated!!!
sounds to me like the rod is getting tired of going up and down and is getting ready to go side ways on you from they way you talk about chattering. Good luck