Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2001, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does this industry just bring in every Joe and Bob with a ranch king? It seems the amount of part timers etc is going wild also the number of new full timers, I think here shortly I will have to pay to cut customers lawns. Bids are going so low, I mean apartments, stores , malls, all lokking for the bottom price 5.00 less and hey we will award it to Mowin Bob...I think we all need to be lookin around....
Old 03-03-2001, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I saw some newbies yesterday while working. Everybody seems to think this is easy money, wait till they get into July. Even had one Daddy hitting on my seasonal customers, guess he was riding around looking at yards that needed work. I wait till they call so it probably looked available. I suppose he.s gonna bankroll little Jr. What can be learned from that?
Old 03-03-2001, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homer come to southern Indiana, The paper is already full of so called lawn companys, it is getting bad...To be honest just cant see prices going up at all for a long time...
Old 03-03-2001, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think I.ll stay here and get beat on, at least I have friends here..............woops,...............hey........make room for me!
Old 03-03-2001, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I never really noticed the amount of cutters around here till I stopped and actually looked around! A bunch of scrubs =(.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Scrubs? Plenty of legit guys here as well. My best employee of 4 seasons is starting his own biz this year. Lots of guys get laid off from factory and take nice severance/bonus pay and BINGO they are in biz with new equipment and truck...paid for!

Old 03-03-2001, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many people live where you are? If there's enough of a client base, it may not be a problem. We have a million and a half people here, so there's lots of work. Lots of new low bidders each year who charge $15-20/hr because they think they can make a fortune doing lawns. Most of them are gone by June, after they line up so much work they can't do it all, lose a few people after realizing they are too low, and not being paid by some of the el cheapo's you get with low prices. We're lucky to live in a country where we have an opportunity to do something we love and get paid for it.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 03-03-2001, 11:58 AM
Banned

I saw a guy today with a 48" wb mower in his station wagon!!!

Hey,
Looking in the classifieds in the local paper today i saw about 40 1" wide ads about a half inch long everyone said lawn mowing,about 35 also said cheap, wait til i get my 3 x 5 ad in there [bigger is better]
Old 03-03-2001, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's one of the problems with a business that has a low start up cost. Think how painters feel... get a brush and a ladder and Bam you're a painter! Biggest problem I see is it takes them a season or two to figure out this ain't easy. In the mean time there goes that extra (biz-cash) you were going to have....so that Big vacation gets put off for another year. The real solution is to upgrade your service, get that pest app lic. if you don't already have it. Jr. ain't gonna be able to buy one of those. When you go to customers home you must be able to offer full service, do it right and you won't just survive you will excel.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in southern indiana right on the Ohio River. This is a very rich part of In. Subdivisions are going up non stop every month. I have all the work i can handel,and trun down work everyweek. Yes there is alot of new cutters, but if you have a good reputation and do very-good work your phone wont stop ringing. I charge 25dollar drop and 2.00 per 1000ssqft. This puts me at a average of 42dollars plus,each cut. This does not even count my commercial accounts.Been at this now for 10yrs and i know many of my clients have turned down other bids. I have a good relationship with my people,and they know the kind of work ill give them, so i dont worry about the new guys,there is plenty of work where i live. And alot of those new guys only last maybe a year seen it happen to many times. (Marks Mowing Service)