Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hegecutting pricing

Hi,
Need help on pricing for hedgecutting, charge how much per hour, by area, length/height of hedge? How do I charge for cleanup, do I charge that seperately or do I have to charge that inclusively? What if they want to clean it up themselves? Do I charge different for utility cutting and smart cutting?

The hedge in question is about 2-2.5m high and quite big. Will need about 1m of tall growth cut off the top, but very sparse so not that hard. It is very soft wood.
I cut with a stihl fs85 with hedgecutter attachment, about 45cm bar. I work hard but am not too experienced with hedgecutting, should that influence pricing? Only once before have I done hedgecutting for money so im not too sure how to charge.

Thanks for any advice.

PS, I hate hedgecutting!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mith
Hi,
Need help on pricing for hedgecutting, charge how much per hour, by area, length/height of hedge? How do I charge for cleanup, do I charge that seperately or do I have to charge that inclusively? What if they want to clean it up themselves? Do I charge different for utility cutting and smart cutting?

The hedge in question is about 2-2.5m high and quite big. Will need about 1m of tall growth cut off the top, but very sparse so not that hard. It is very soft wood.
I cut with a stihl fs85 with hedgecutter attachment, about 45cm bar. I work hard but am not too experienced with hedgecutting, should that influence pricing? Only once before have I done hedgecutting for money so im not too sure how to charge.

Thanks for any advice.

PS, I hate hedgecutting!
Well if you hate hedgecutting, why do it? As a general rule, if you hate something then you will not be able to make a profit (trust me on this). For example, I *HATE* leaves! And you guessed it, I can't get more than 15-20 dollars/hour out these folk for leaves. So I leave the leaves alone.
There is another guy here hates grass-cutting. And sure enough, he swears he can't get enough money doing it. But he's learning the same thing I'm learning: If you hate something, leave it to someone else.
Because if you hate something, it appears you will always lose.

That's the first advice, next comes another piece.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a problem: How LONG is this row? It could be 10 meters long, it could be 100...
Old 07-05-2005, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

50m approx.
Its worth it to do it, I will come to like hedgecutting in time. Its irrelevant what I think of it.
Back to the questions.
Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a general rule, I charge my cost plus $40 per man per hour for labor (I don't know what it is in pounds!) Some people on here may think that is low, but it depends on what your market will bear. I can't get away with charging much more than that for general labor around here, but if you can get more, then go for it. If you have to give an estimate, allow for a little more time than you think it will take, just to cover your azz, then try to get it done as fast as possible so you can move on to something else. I am sure there will be other opinions to follow, but for general labor (clean ups, leaves, hedges, etc.) this works well for me.
Welcome to the site.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no way to tell you "how much" to charge to do these hedges. I can't give a dollar amount, because I don't know how much it COSTS you. I don't even know how much a U.S dollar is WORTH in the U.K.. I can tell you this...know how much it will cost you, and charge accordingly. Give yourself a rough estimate of how much time it will take to cut them, clean, re-cut them, and final clean.....then to tarp the stuff up and haul it away. Don't forget you have a dumping fee to pay, and you have time going to the dump, dumoing, and pulling away from the dump. You need to figure this all in. To give you an idea of cost ratio here (compared to the U.K.), we get between 40 and 60 dollars per man hour here in the U.S.. Our common laboreres make between 7 and 10 dollars per hour. To dump, it costs us around 40 dollars for a cubic yard (.76 cubic meters). I hope this helps.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks man, good answers
I figure, £15 hour for me, £7 for others, £15 an hour for cutter
1 hour cutting = cutter + me + other = £37
1 hour cleanup = me + other = £22
= £59
£100? Should cover anything else - no need to haul cuttings, put in a pile I think. I guess I can lower if it takes me too little time right.
I think the time estimates may be generous, does this sound OK? High, low?

PS, thanks for the welcome, must have missed it in the first reply
thanks