Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2001, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man, my acct just wont return my calls!

I had to wait to do my taxes because the looser I worked for at the beginning of last year just mailed me my w-2

I have talked with her (the acct) a couple of times earlier this year. But without my w-2, she just told me to get my books straight as she dosent want to "mess w/ that", and "call her when I am ready."

Now that I have it all squared away, she wont return my calls!

I know what happens when I dont return calls! I loose the business to someone else!

Maybe she is busy... but,
Its March and I dont have an acct!
It seems she could return my messages to tell me I need to find somebody else!
She was a certified QB consultant too. I was looking foward to paying her for her help...BUT...
I guess I'll be shopping MONDAY!

vent vent vent........

[Edited by Island Lawn on 03-03-2001 at 09:06 PM]
Old 03-04-2001, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a reason that I do my own taxes and accounting!

The few accountants I spoke to several years ago about my small business were just not going to do much for me for a few hundred dollars a year. Besides, I WANT to know how and what to do about my taxes instead of just following what someone says to do, or allowing them to just handle it.

To me I see no difference how much I am making, how busy I am, or how big the company, I want to be able to check my account's work and do it when they don't.

I hope it all works out for you by tax day!
Old 03-04-2001, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

ditto Skooums post..

with all the softwares out there today, I don't think an accountant is required unless you have some real bizarre stuff. Good money after bad in most cases.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR
Old 03-04-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe not returning your call is her way of saying I don't want you as a customer. Find someone else. Theres probably a good selsction listed in the yellow pages. Or ask some friends who the use.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 03-05-2001, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Find an accountant by referral if possible. People will tell you if they like theirs or not.

Remember this is the busy season for accountants. Most tax cpa's will work 80 hour weeks this time of year. I worked for a cpa firm and they are walking zombies this time of year. Be patient.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Hoss. During this season is like our April when everyone is calling for lawn service.

Try stopping by her place of business.
Old 03-05-2001, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going by her office with my stuff. I probably over-reacted when I didnt get a call back after only a couple of tries during her busy season.
Thanks for the help!

But...
I've got nothing "bizzare" and I've practically done all the work.
I'm mainly interested in the QB set-up and help...and she said there may be "bartering opportunities"...no promises though...

I can't help thinking I should just do this myself and cut my expenses...

[Edited by Island Lawn on 03-05-2001 at 06:41 PM]
Old 03-05-2001, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Island remember

Accountants can do book keeping. But not all book keepers are not accountants. They are two separate functions.

Book keeping helps you track your daily spending. Keeping you in your bugdet. Managing your cash flow. That is why it is best for you to do your own inhouse book keeping.

Accounting is keeping you clean with taxes re: payroll, FICA, state, Feds. They file for you. RE: monthly, quarterly, yearly.

Accountants help keep you from getting audited. If audited they represent you against the IRS. They have all your records and it is best to try and stay with one accountant.

Hopes this helps.
Old 03-06-2001, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all for helping get my wits about me!
I guess I kind of panicked when my acct didnt call me back.

I just got off the phone w/ my acct. She's swamped. Corporate returns are due on the 15th.
She told me shes been meaning to get back in touch.....
She said Im on the list. I'm to give her a call on the 16th and she gave me her mobile #.

Oh, and she will be helping me out with my QB Pro 2001....
Old 03-20-2001, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, Island
I am new here and thought I could contribute to this conversation : When this woman finishes your tax work, start your search for a replacement CPA, I don't care how busy someone is, returning phone calls is as simple as blocking out a 1 hour period of your day that is dedicated to the act of returning phone calls. If you don't hold other professionals to your high standard of doing business, then YOUR business suffers.
<P>Here is my method of finding professionals, and marketing my services at the same time: Call the Chamber of Commerce and find out when the next Mixer will be held. Your wife or girlfriend will go with you. She has a very specific fun job: Meet someone new and just gab. In the course of conversation let it be known that her other half is looking for a CPA. When the other person suggests their CPA, the work begins. She asks a question. "What is it that you like best about your CPA ?" Now she listens to every word that person says without one interuption. Here's how the business part of the conversation might go:</p>
<p>WIFE: You know, my husband is looking for a CPA, do you have one?</p>
<p>FUTURE CUSTOMER: Oh yes, my CPA is fabulous, his name is blah, blah, blah.</P>
<p>WIFE: Really! <B>What do you like best about him</B>
<p>Future Cust.: Oh he always returns my phone call
<p>Wife: That's amazing, my husbands customers always seem to be amazed when someone returns their phone call.So many people don't do that anymore.</p>
<p>Here's the point. This person has told you how to sell her on your service. She places value on a returned phone call. It doesn't matter what she likes about her guy. What matters is that you as a professional can make her life easier by giving her what she wants.</p>
<p>If you have other customers who share her values you might give their # as a reference, after checking with them. If you can sell what a person <b>values</b> then you are not in a position of selling your <b>service</b> or <b>prices.</b> Use what you can and discard the rest.
All the best,
Gary

[Edited by grass jockey on 03-20-2001 at 04:45 PM]