Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

no more subcontracting for me

hello guys and gals,
i just wanted to tell you that i am done from the whole subcontracting thing .this week i am starting on my own, even though it is kinda late.the guy i subcontract for owes me 15k from doing lawn mainteneance,he pays me around 250 to 300 bucks a week and the balance keeps on adding up day after day.i used to sub for him last year,and work for him the past three years,he is always short on money and everyday he gives me a different execuse not to pay me good.i ran my own plow and mowers for him, and i am in huge debt. i don't wanna bite the hand that used to help me,but there is limits...i told him a number of times that i'd quit if he keeps on that .so this week i got business cards and flyers and starting to do my own. i'll make sure i don't hit his accounts or near him.sorry for the long thread,it just pisses me off
Echo and stihl handhelds
Old 07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A sun of a gun owes you 15 grand and you're not going after "HIS" accounts !!!!!!!!!!???

Pal, he ain't got NO accounts, they're YOURS, or you are a damned fool. I'd do my best to take everyone of them and whatever else I could get until I got my friggin' money PLUS paid for interest and trouble.

Gedd is sooo right on this issue, some of you look for ways to lay down and get Skee-Roooed !
Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

right

you are right,
i forgot to mention that this guy is my friend too, and makes me so upset that he is taking advantage of our friendship.he keeps on paying me all the time, but always not enought(300 or 400 by far).i mow between 50-70 accounts every week,so i told him that he should at least give me a grand a week or so.well it is his loss now,
thanks for your concern
Echo and stihl handhelds
Old 07-05-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

it is illegal to sell or buy "accounts" but there is no problem legally advertising to these customers.. get as many as you can!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tider6972
A sun of a gun owes you 15 grand and you're not going after "HIS" accounts !!!!!!!!!!???

Pal, he ain't got NO accounts, they're YOURS, or you are a damned fool. I'd do my best to take everyone of them and whatever else I could get until I got my friggin' money PLUS paid for interest and trouble.

Gedd is sooo right on this issue, some of you look for ways to lay down and get Skee-Roooed !

AMEN!

Bro... this guys is not your "friend", maybe at some time, but not now.

Try telling him that you need to "own" all of the accounts that you currently work because he owes you so much $.
If he does not like it, well... take every single account you can.
At least that way you will have a good start on your own.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang man......How can you let it get to 15 grand before cuttin the cord? You should know that if 300 hunny is a problem...15k is a na na.

Get YOUR money or stuff. I know violence is not the answer but come on...15K? zmowingmaster needs to get mad and stain a brain.

good luck.......you need it.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

u don't know how mad i am right now

i will give him a week or ten more days,,, i am not asking him for the full balance now, at least more than gas money...thanks for the replies guys ,makes me feel better....i love this site and i try to be active on it, but i am not near my computer most of the time
Echo and stihl handhelds
Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had one of these "friends" one time, for 20 years. When he get thru using you or find someone else cheaper you are history. Hate to sound cold but in biz your own Mom aint your "friend".
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree, anyone that owes you that much, IS NOT your friend, he's a person that owes you money, and should either pay up, which is the right and honorable thing to do, or get the **** out of town. If I were you, I'd be pretty mad, and wanting my money NOW, no more excuses, NOW. just flat out tell him, you're tired of excuses and want your money, or you could look into legal action perhaps, which would be the wiser move if he doesnt pay up what he owes. I know this sounds cold, but its the truth, and you need to do this, or you'll be screwed. I'm not sure what you can do as far as taking him to court for the money he owes you, but if you threaten to get a lawyer involved, he'll probably pay up REAL quick.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt it...I bet this guy doesn't even have the money. It sounds to me like he either squanders it away, or is living the "high life". If he can get away with not paying like he has been, then he will. Does he do his own accounts too, or does he do something else, and just has you doing this on the side? I hate to say it, but you may have some serious trouble on your hands...In the mean time, I would DEFINITELY be making some contacts with the people you are mowing for. This is illegal to do, but it sounds like your best bet. Now, by illegal, what is mean is this....Like someone said earlier, there is no law against advertising to people,...however, while you are under someone's employment or contract services, you could run into some difficulties. there have been several threads on here of people with employees and/or ex-employees going around and taking existing accounts. There have been civil issues and cases that were explored, and alot of good info was written and links given on here regarding this. Best of luck to you, and I certainly hope this works out to your advantage. Like I say, I would just go for it. This guy is no friend...he is definitely taking advantage of the situation.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.