Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2005, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Member

mower just clicks

I have two exmarks that are one year difference, they look the same so I swap parts when things don't work to find the problem. I have a mower that just clicks, battery is hot and I swapped out the relay switch that has the two screws on it that you can touch together and the motor will turn over. Fuses are good. Ideas?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblade
I have two exmarks that are one year difference, they look the same so I swap parts when things don't work to find the problem. I have a mower that just clicks, battery is hot and I swapped out the relay switch that has the two screws on it that you can touch together and the motor will turn over. Fuses are good. Ideas?

The relay switch you called it is actually called a solenoid,If you jumped the two large post on it and the engine still didn't turn over I'd say there is a problem inside the starter. Possibly the brushes,You didn't say what engine was on this unit but have you tried to turn the engine by hand ?
could also be the starter drive stuck in the flywheel or a internal engine problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Member

It will start when I jump out the solenoid.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=newblade]It will start when I jump out the solenoid.[/QUO

If it clicks when you turn the key switch,But it starts when you jump it,The only thing I feel it could be is the solenoid.
just for the heck of it check all battery connections and grounds, And put your test meter on the battery and check voltage while trying to start and see how low the battery drops.
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I swapped it out with the one on my other mower and it works fine on it and so I kept the other one on this one, I know it is good.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblade
I swapped it out with the one on my other mower and it works fine on it and so I kept the other one on this one, I know it is good.
Ok we are getting to the nitty gritty, Does this solenoid mount on the frame of the mower or on the starter it's self ?
If you have a test light or multimeter put it on the large post on the solenoid that the starter wire hooks to and turn the key and make sure you have voltage on that post when it clicks, A multimeter is best for this test so you can read how many volts is going through the solenoid.
Post back your findings and we will take it from there.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2005, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what two posts are you jumping? Battery to starter (large post to large post? Battery to solenoid(small post)?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Solenoid testing
Attached Images
File Type: pdf testing.pdf (137.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I am having the exact same problem. Mine started right after the electric clutch went out. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. I think the problem is in the safety switches. I have jumped the ones that I know how to. I don't know how to bypass the PTO safety but I am sure it is tied into the starter somehow. Also I can start the motor with a screwdriver on the solenoid and after it is started the the key will cut the motor off like its supposed to and all the saftey switches will function as normal. I switched the PTO switch and the ignition switch with ones from another mower. The switches from the bad mower functioned fine on the other mower and the ones from the good mower did not work on the bad mower.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsl&i
I am having the exact same problem. Mine started right after the electric clutch went out. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. I think the problem is in the safety switches. I have jumped the ones that I know how to. I don't know how to bypass the PTO safety but I am sure it is tied into the starter somehow. Also I can start the motor with a screwdriver on the solenoid and after it is started the the key will cut the motor off like its supposed to and all the saftey switches will function as normal. I switched the PTO switch and the ignition switch with ones from another mower. The switches from the bad mower functioned fine on the other mower and the ones from the good mower did not work on the bad mower.
Did you perform the above mentioned solenoid test ?
Quote: