Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2001, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm already thinking about next years leaf clean up since its still fresh in my mind from this fall. I think I've narrowed it down to the Billy Goat tail gate truck loader with the 16hp Vanguard. Mounted into my 2" reciever quick on quick off.Will do a nice job filling my 6 x 10 stake body with box. Any one have any experience with the Billy goat? I don't want a tow behind loader on a trailer, to much of a pain to back in to tigh areas so a tailgate seems best. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2001, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We tried one a few seasons back. It was a tailgate mount w/ 16hp/10in. dia. hose/10ft length. It was after we had some rains and the piles we couldnt get up were very wet. I found that we had to pull on the hose to free the clogging debris.

These things are MoNsTeRs!!! They ate everything in site, cans, bottles, dead animals, toys, and the list goes on.

We were blowing onto the back of a stakebody so airflow was not a problem. If you are going to be blowing into the back of a truck make sure that if it is enclosed that there is some kind of a mesh opening in the front to keep the volume of debris moving towards the front.

I would highly recommend them. I would not recommend anything smaller than a 16HP motor. I think that for those of us who are interested in removing all fall debris from the properties that this would be a worthwhile investment. Some of the major players in our area use them for larger commercial sites and swear by them as well.

Good Luck.
Kris
Old 03-03-2001, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Billy Goat leaf loader

We have the machine your talking about. Ours is mounted on back of the trailer, and shoots into the back of the dump(leaf box). Dont buy any machine below the 16hp, they get jammed quite frequently(even the 16hp will at times). As long as the person thats feeding the intake is causious of large sticks, youll have no problems. The machine is quick, and reduces the leaves therefore allowing for more leaves in one load. Im not sure what part of Mass. your from, but if you live near Weymouth(South Shore) you can look at our machine and see how it works. 781-337-3571 ask for Mike
Old 03-03-2001, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one with a Honda motor. It really works well. We use to load a pick up with plywood sides with it. It got old real fast unloading so I bought a 94 HD dump, that did the trick.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How does the machine do on picking up piles of thatch? Wet leaves? Dead bodies?

Just the important stuff i should know before considering purchase. Thanks all.

Acute Cut
Old 03-03-2001, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They work awsome. We live in Maine (pinetree state) lots of spring and fall cleanups here, we use our Walker mowers to pick up pine needles, leaves and debri and dump the load after vacuming them up by the billy-Goat loader and vac em in the rackbody (one of the best investments.)
Old 03-03-2001, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Billy Goat is a top brand,well made. The bigger the HP the more careful you need to be when handling the suction hose.I have a Giant Vac,8HP,its slower but plenty strong enough for a pick -up truck. I have mine mounted on a dolly type frame with two swivel wheels and carry it on the trailer. I also load from the front of the truck so I can roll it with out any trouble to where I want to use it. One of my compettors has his mounted on a snow plow frame.

Gene
Old 03-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Banned

the billy goat will suck the chrome off a bumper. if you don't have a dumper, try putting the suction hose into the truck and direct the discharge out. its slower but it also reduces the volume again.
Old 03-04-2001, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info guys. This is why I love this site. I've only seen one Billy Goat and comaperd to the others it loked like a tight unit well built. I will definately get the 16hp that's one of the reasons this loader looks good for me. I will be blowinjg into a 10 x 6 stake body with a mesh top, and currently I don't have a dump kit in it but I think that will change soon when I get the loader. Again thanks for all of the great intput. The Billy Goat looks like a winner. Plus to boot two guys that have solo operations like me said if I get the loader they will have me do all of the pile pick ups on their jobs too!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

GLM, I've been thinking of getting a big loader too, I have a small 5 hp one and it's too slow and doesn't reduce the volume enough. We only do a few leaf jobs but want to do more. There are also lots of people here who do their own leaves then bag them up, I want to come in and pick up the piles to save bagging time for them. One guy bragged that he did over 100 bags last year on one lawn. The Town has a dump site for leaves so that's not a problem. I'm still trying to figure out how to price this work.