Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

From Push to Pride

When I was 10 y.o. i started out with your basic push mower. I mowed for two years saving enough money to by a craftsman tractor which made me $5,000. Now I own a Craftsman ZTR which i mow 15 weekly contracts with and a spur of the moment job every day, since I can't drive a car, I have to drive my ZTR every where but I haul a trailer with my equipt. in it. But since I live in a neighborhood its not that bad of a drive. I make about $650 per month on a 5 month mowing season so on average i make about $3500 dollars a year which is pretty good for a 14 y.o.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, thats pretty good. keep at it, get yourself insured, and licensed, and you'll be a productive person. I've been stuck with a push mower for the last few years, since I cant quite make enough to get a rider yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulclawncare
When I was 10 y.o. i started out with your basic push mower. I mowed for two years saving enough money to by a craftsman tractor which made me $5,000. Now I own a Craftsman ZTR which i mow 15 weekly contracts with and a spur of the moment job every day, since I can't drive a car, I have to drive my ZTR every where but I haul a trailer with my equipt. in it. But since I live in a neighborhood its not that bad of a drive. I make about $650 per month on a 5 month mowing season so on average i make about $3500 dollars a year which is pretty good for a 14 y.o.
if your mowing 15 accounts and only making 650 per month your prices are way too low....thats 43.33 per account per month....around
10.00 per lawn..... it figures....if you are going to be taken seriously you need to charge market prices....
6 full time
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

since i am a kid i have to give you lots of credit for mowing lawns! but maybe you should charge more per cut-i charge about 30 dollars per cut for lots that take about 1 hr to cut
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Dave/new kid, I will take your suggestion i calculated and i will charge $30 per cut bring in about $2,500 per month and $12,500 per year, which is extremely well for a kid my age
Old 07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good job. I still am pushing at 15 but am getting some big toys soon including my truck. It's good money a lot better than mcdonalds.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave/new kid, I will take your suggestion i calculated and i will charge $30 per cut bring in about $2,500 per month and $12,500 per year, which is extremely well for a kid my age
So you just "decided" you will be giving your customers a 200% increase, and you expect them to go for it?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S man
It's good money a lot better than mcdonalds.
Got that right. McDonalds isnt the best place for guys like us to work. especiallly those of us who cant stay clean for more than 15 minutes.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickMowing
So you just "decided" you will be giving your customers a 200% increase, and you expect them to go for it?
Why not...My cable company just did that to me?

And on a side note, I find it quite entertaining how threatened the old timer guys get of the lowballer kids.

Just think about this. Most of those kids will only mow until they go to college, and then they will get high paying jobs, and us guys who only know how to work can keep getting dirty and drive mowers while they driving mercedes .
Old 07-19-2005, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
HUH? You have 15 "contracts" which makes around 60 cuts per month. If your going to charge $30 per cut like you say you are thats $1800/month. Don't expect for everyone to jump on a $20/cut increase. What am I missing?

How big are the lots and what class neighborhood is it?