Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2005, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki-no spark

I have an old john deere 21 inch walk behind with a 4.5 horse Kawasaki. I think its a 1989 or 90 model. It recently stopped running and has no spark. I took the top cover off the motor to check the electrical connections. Everything looks fine. What could it be?? Only thing i could think of is the coil. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how did you check the spark? did you pull the plug and check there or did you hold the plug wire close to the block or did you have a spark tester? you see where i'm going with this - it could be as simple as the plug but you've probably guesed right with the coil. could be the kill switch or wire also..
Old 07-10-2005, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

beware of the neon light type spark testers. It takes very littel to light them up and even a weak coil will show good with them.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67
beware of the neon light type spark testers. It takes very littel to light them up and even a weak coil will show good with them.
Ditto ; Had one of those dang things cause me some head banging a few years back Don't even own one anymore !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I just made sure the plug was touching the block. I've done it this in the past when it did have spark and it worked.

But, i ended up taking it to the shop and he asked me what i hit with it, and i replied nothing. He then told me that some kind of pin had sheared and that it had no compression. But when i was trying to start it before it felt like it had compression. He then informed me that i need a new motor. I don't get it.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbear3800
I just made sure the plug was touching the block. I've done it this in the past when it did have spark and it worked.

But, i ended up taking it to the shop and he asked me what i hit with it, and i replied nothing. He then told me that some kind of pin had sheared and that it had no compression. But when i was trying to start it before it felt like it had compression. He then informed me that i need a new motor. I don't get it.
He is speaking of the flywheel key being sheared and that has nothing to do with compression or no spark at all, Even if it is sheared it would still spark but out of time. If I were you I'd stay away from that place

Post the model and spec. numbers on this thing so I can take a look at what you got there !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, that dealer is talking out his assolator. he knows as much about engines as I do about nuclear physics, which is nothing. Take it to a professional who KNOWS what he's doing, odds are your coil is bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

well, after i pick it up i'll check it out. I told him to forget fixing it. Thanks.