Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Water absorption from trees

A little off topic but, several years ago, my neighor cut down 2 large (about 3 ft dia x 50ft high) oaks. They just happened to be about 5 ft from my house. The stumps are still there though.

Since then, I've had moisture in the basement.

The questions are:
1/ how much water can these two trees suck up?
2/ because my house is on a really flat grade, and very close to the road, is there any other way to divert the water away other than a sump pump?? I can't figure out how to put in a drainage tile or piping system due to the fact that theres no whrere to drain it to. The water isn't horrible, its just very damp. Visually, it seems to be coming from the very base of the wall and up thru the floor a little.

any ideas??

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

About ten years ago I cut down a huge pine tree 3' or 4' from the house. The ground became really wet. Dug a pit about 3' x 3' x 3' (real approximate, and couldn't keep sides vertical) and lined it with very good landscape cloth. Added drainage rock in 2 to 3 inch layers and covered each layer of rock with landscape cloth, leaving a shallow open layer of rock on top. The cloth was to keep the soil from backfilling the spaces between all the rock.

Somebody told me this is called a dry sump.

French drains would have had to go into a city easement, no could do.

Inslalled gutter with the downspout draining on top of the rock pit. Then planted hydrangeas around it. It worked but it was pure luck, just a guess. I should have put a border around it for easier trimming.

Don't know if this might help you Fred, as a much deeper pit might be needed for your application but this idea might help give you a better idea.