Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

How much oil?

I just a bought a new bob-cat 15hp kohler WB and I need to change the oil for the first 5 hrs. I read the owners manual and it doesn't say how much oil to put in. Does anyone know?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it should say, approximately how much it will take in there, look again. I think it's in the maintenance section of the manual.

if you still can't find it, I would start out wiht 3/4 quart, let it sit, and see how far up you are, judge how much to put in from there. btw, make sure you run dino oil for the first 50 hours.

I would change the oil every 40-50 hours no matter what oil you are using. also change the filter each time you change the oil.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

all it says is to fill to the "F", but I can never read those damn dipsticks.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, there's going to be some oil in there anyway, so you can't just poor the recomended amount in and start it up.

remember, you allways want to read the oil when the engine is cold.

wait about five minutes after filling to check the oil, oil stays in the filler neck for a bit, making it looked like you filled it up all the way. always check the oil on level ground, and check the oil again before you start it up.

I find that kohler dipsticks are the easiest to read out of the bunch, now honda has a hard to read dipstick system, I can't tell where it is half the time.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You should have gotten a separate manual for the engine itself. I'd call the dealer if you didn't get one.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 15hp Kohler ProCommand, single cylinder engine. It takes 1 1/2 qt (32 oz + 16 oz).

Most likely, your engine is the same, so try 1 1/4 qt, check, then add to "F" on dipstick as needed. I find I cannot read the dipstick after pouring in the oil, but need to run it, then let it sit for a few minutes, and then check. When pulling the dipstick right after pouring in the oil, the sides of the tube are covered and will obscure the reading.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember when checking the oil in a command engine do not screw the dipstick down on the tube, just set it on top to get correct level.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!