Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Fertilizer or Scotts

I have seen the final product of lesco and it looks great deep green almost looks fake but it is none the less deep green. I have been using scotts and I want to be on the band wagon but it does not get the results like lesco. You could argue health vs deep green but the consumer wants green green green grass vs green grass.... just want some thoughts on the subject
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brand has NOTHING to do with the grass. Scotts and Lesco sell the same stuff in differnt colored bags./ It comes down to YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scotts doesn't produce fertilizer for the commercial market. Not all fertilizers are the same.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts isn't even CLOSE to Lesco. Scotts is done under an entirely different process. It is cooked, blended, and dried all together, then ground so every granule is the exact same as every other one. There is no coatings, there is no slow release of ANY percent. It is just not the same type of balanced feeding that you get with a professional fertilizer. Now, this is refering to the Scotts for the homeowner market, like you buy at stores.
Incidentally, the Lesco that you buy at the big box stores is not the same as the Lesco you get from the Lesco stores. It is custom blended just for Home Depot. It has no slow release either.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonniesLawns
Brand has NOTHING to do with the grass. Scotts and Lesco sell the same stuff in differnt colored bags./ It comes down to YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
Huh. Do you have a pesticide license since your comments sound like you don't.

Bill
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He is mostly right. In many areas of teh country Lesco blends Scotts commercial fertilizers for them.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

read the lable... the lesco has 2% iron, scotts does not... that is the difference in the color of the grass. i have never seen any scotts fertilizer (retail) with iron added.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeca
read the lable... the lesco has 2% iron, scotts does not... that is the difference in the color of the grass. i have never seen any scotts fertilizer (retail) with iron added.
so, please explain to the licensed applicators why a Scott's fertilizer makes the lawn dark green.

Eating up the competition!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
so, please explain to the licensed applicators why a Scott's fertilizer makes the lawn dark green.

What are you talking about? The original post said that LESCO gives it a deep green. That is mainly beacuase of the iron. Scott's may green up the grass somewhat because of its N, but doesn't compare to Lesco with 50% slow release (what I am using is 24-0-11 2% with 50% SCU).
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS1
Huh. Do you have a pesticide license since your comments sound like you don't.
What I think Loonie is trying to say is "The brand name of the fertilizer you use isn't as important as a well planed and properly executed application schedule that meets the lawns changing needs though out a growing season."

Honestly if you have a bad program, then the very best fertilizer in the world won't help the lawn perform optimally.

Conversely, if you have a good program, and execute it properly, then you will get very good results with average fertilizer products.

Now I am not trying to put words into Loonie's mouth, but that is how I understand him.

Loonie, feel free to straighten me out if I am off target.