Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Rob, ignore "percolating" as it refers to the liquid cooling. This is only to describe the sound it makes as it coughs and chokes itself off. Sometimes there is a backfire. I have not seen an overtemp condition by guage or by boil over, the fluid level is good. If a bad temp sensor could be the culprit, that is a possibilty I guess. Otherwise I'm stumped, thanks for hanging in there.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlow
Rob, ignore "percolating" as it refers to the liquid cooling. This is only to describe the sound it makes as it coughs and chokes itself off. Sometimes there is a backfire. I have not seen an overtemp condition by guage or by boil over, the fluid level is good. If a bad temp sensor could be the culprit, that is a possibilty I guess. Otherwise I'm stumped, thanks for hanging in there.
Well, We all know the problem with trying to diagnose equipment here is we can't See, Hear or Touch it. I'd be willing to bet if I could hear it acting up I'd know right where to go.
After looking at the carb. I don't believe it's the bowl vent.
When it starts acting up have you tried to pull the choke on to see if it picks back up ?
I just hate having one beat up on me like this so I'm not ready to give up yet, I'm still working on it if I don't blow a gasket first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thoughts come to mind... haven't had any trouble until the CO-OP refilled my barrell this spring, good chane I got a bad load or a dirty tank, going to try a new barrell filter, alos go down to the local GitNGo and try a new tank of petro. It just feels like i got some bum fuel.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you looked at the fuel pump?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked the valve clearance? We had a different model do that and found out the valve clearance needed adjusted. good luck
Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Seeing as this is a water cooled engine what mix are you running in it? Pure water doe not do much good in todays high temp lean burning engines. And Pure anti-freeze/anti-boil coolant will in fact boil quicker than straight water. You need to be running a 50/50 mix. No more than a 70/30 mix. Above 70% constraint you start to go down hill in protection. Just try putting plain water in a new Honda that has a water jacket temperature of 220* and you will boil over within 3 miles if not sooner. Thanks to the EPA everything is running leaner nowdays which means it runs hotter and burns up quicker. Thank You EPA
Old 09-04-2005, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

problem solved

Like all guys who never ask for directions, I finally broke down and stopped by the local Deere store. The service manager suggested I replace the Time Delay Module (Part # AM128906) a $15.00 fix. Mowed yesterday for over 90 minutes without a problem. This module is intended to prevent backfires when you turn the key off. If it goes bad it will starve fuel or spark. Anyway, hats off to Paul at Reynold's in Shawnee KS for the right diagnosis.