Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2005, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I need some help with broadleaf weeds

I have 15k ft of what used to be nice turf 15 years ago, to try and rehabilitate. It belongs to the woman I rent my shop space from. It's so covered with weeds now that I expect the grass will be totaly gone in another two years.
The property is surounded by a native plant nursery that want's no use of chems on the property, and I can understand that.
So I'm asking what can I do to knock out broadleaf weeds organicly in a good sized area that was and should be grass? And time is not problem, I can take a year or two or more, to get what I can when I can if I can figure out how. It's had no fert of any kind over the same 15 years either, so I do plan on areating this fall and again in spring and spreading what meal, gluten, etc and seed, what ever I can to try to get this place to get back to grass.
Any ideas?, help would be great Oh, and it's not irrigated but could be. Thanks, Oly
WSDA# 65537
Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe an application of herbicide to start off. How would this affect the neighboring nursery if you apply it correctly?

Then do your organic, no chemical, magic on the place.....
Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey thanks, but chem is just not an option for these people. And I understand what your saying and thanks
WSDA# 65537
Old 07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can try the Green Guardian orgnanic broadleaf weed control that Farm Crop Extracts has. They are a sponsor on here, so check that out.
If you're aerating and overseeding in the fall and spring, I would skip the CG, and apply straight organic fert.

Good Luck...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

green guard

Got some in but no time to play as of yet, you should be able to thicken the lawn enough to kill out the weeds through over-seeding, and the correct NPK as needed in the lawn your working on. For now, get the NPK in order, and if soil conditions are favorable, areate now. First get a soil test to determine what is lacking. Also cut the lawn a bit longer, 3 1/2' to 4" to help the roots grow deeper. This process works wonders, but here in Ohio it wolnt solve the clover problem, that is why I'm trying the Green Guardian.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green Guardian

Getting ready to try some Green Guardian for broadleaf weeds in Washington State. Care to share your experience with this product with me? Neal
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well this is what I would do.Cut it as low as you can,moisten it well then put a thick mill plastic sheeting over the whole area,black is fine cuz you dont really want to solarize it with clear stuff.Then pin it down tight all round so hardly any air gets in,then wait 2 months in the hot summer.take it off or look under,and make sure it is all dead.Remove the plastic rake it out well,till it and amend it and seed the heck out of it.in fall
Old 07-23-2005, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Sheshovel,

Would this not kill everythingunder the plastic, both good and bad? KIlling the weeds and the microbs also?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
Sheshovel,

Would this not kill everythingunder the plastic, both good and bad? KIlling the weeds and the microbs also?

Thats the iea. there are no effective organics that will control just broadleaf weeds. You will not use a selective herbicide even though when used properly and drift is managed, it will offer no harm to your native plants.

If you want to control all the broadleaf weeds without the use of control products grab your favorite steak knife and go out and hand weed the area.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
Sheshovel,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but UV rays kill microbes, but if they have nothing to feed on, their number might drop anyway.