Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2005, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
NO...In 16 years of doing this, NO, NO, NO. Not a single instance. What the HELL is the big problem down there? I don't hear the other LCO's from N.J. doing all of the squaking that you are doing. Try a different attitude and mannerism, and see if the problems go away. I will insist to the day that I die that you do not really exist. There is no landscaping business in N.J. that is run by you. There is no one that would ever work for you. Your customers are fictitious, and I really wonder about the family thing. You have quiet the fatasy life, Booby. Keep dreaming it all up. And don't forget, YOU are my idol.
Whoa, Jimmy. It is obvious you have had an extraordinary experience in the industry. And it is obvious everyone else's problems have been ignored by you or gone in your ear and out the other. So, I would suggest laying off this guy. *You may have a point about Bob, but it ain't this one.*
Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
Holy smokes Bob you have more problems getting paid than anyone I have run across. Only Question I ever have is when there are 5 weeks in the billing cycle. Wife handles that by referring to the calendar. My life is soooo simple. No shovel or anything.

Me thinks his clients don't trust him. Hmmmmmmmm. Wonder why.
Fortunately he's got that shovel of persuasion to ensure they don't dump him.

But, I do agree that record keeping is very important but I see no need to put that in a contract. Once you showed you did the work, he should have believed you, judging your character of course, and payed you.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 07-17-2005, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magpie
Whoa, Jimmy. It is obvious you have had an extraordinary experience in the industry. And it is obvious everyone else's problems have been ignored by you or gone in your ear and out the other. So, I would suggest laying off this guy. *You may have a point about Bob, but it ain't this one.*

Go back and read Mr. Gedds past posts then come back and defend him.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Go back and read Mr. Gedds past posts then come back and defend him
Amen on that and i could think of a few more that falls in the same category TopSneeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzsites
Old 07-17-2005, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

6 pages the office supply is gonna love u
Old 07-17-2005, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I would feel intimidated by someone who handed me a 6-page contract to just cut my grass...but that's just me.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Personally, I would feel intimidated by someone who handed me a 6-page contract to just cut my grass...but that's just me.
i understand, but how do you adress these issues? they MUST BE adressed. the sprinkler thing for example, how do you adress that? the "you werent here" crap, how do you adress that?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i understand, but how do you adress these issues?
Face to face is how I address them bobby.

I don't want my potential client to feel like they have to hire a Philadelphia attorney to read and understand my contract.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i understand, but how do you adress these issues? they MUST BE adressed. the sprinkler thing for example, how do you adress that? the "you werent here" crap, how do you adress that?
I address them verbally when I sign a new client, I always need to know whether they have irrigation, detimines the growth rate, when and how much to fert, where to run an airetor so I don't wipe out the heads etc. And its pretty difficult to not know when they been cut. I won't mow if it does not need it, so thats never been a problem. You just need a short contract that covers your azz, including acts of god and other reasons [custmers negligents, or interuptions of the scheldule] as to why the work could not be completed, and that they are reponsable to pay if they caused the problem. Also a camara with a date imprintor on it is a great way to prove your point. only need to store the pics on your puter for a billing cycle and then you can delete them once paid.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Face to face is how I address them bobby.

I don't want my potential client to feel like they have to hire a Philadelphia attorney to read and understand my contract.
the only problem with that is, it's the same as a verbal agreement, and hard to prove in court. i can't make return trips cus they had thier sprinklers on, i can't let 5 weeks of service fees slide because some nutjob thinks i wasn't there, when i was. you are correct, the long contracts are intimidating. but business on a handshake is out of the question. i have never had a hard time getting anyone to sign my 3 pagers, and there is harsh language in them like, "court appearance, collection fees, etc." so i'm not sure if adding 2-3 more pages will drive them off. there are a few ways of looking at it. #1- they may think it's good to have all basis covered, and they are dealing with a real pro. #2- it may scare them. #3- they may be bad clients, and this will weed them out right away.