Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
RichmondR RichmondR is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 107
Bobby --

I agree that would bug me a lot as well. My point only is that if you do ever end up in court, its better to have something in the contract that says "your records control," rather then they are "error proof." If you say they are error proof, and if for some reason Mr. Deadbeat can show one problem with one of your records, the whole contract clause starts to break down and you could end up with nothing. I think you end up at pretty much the same spot with my wording, or some language you prefer in the same spirit, and you are less likely to have a problem with a judge if the records aren't for some reason perfectly error proof.
__________________
Just a homeowner with a large lawn.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:38 PM
kclawnmowerman kclawnmowerman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: kansas city
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i did, you know what he said? "NOBODY, it wasn't cut" this made me want to smack him right in front of his wife. 5 weeks without a cut, would result in a cornfield!. it always struck me as odd, how someone could have work done on thier property, and not know it. i have a grapevine, with roughly 10,000 grapes on it. if i leave in the morning, and come back at 3 pm, if a bird took even one grape off that vine, i would notice it missing the minute i pulled into the driveway. and this guy, didn't notice his lawn was mowed, wacked, and edged, 4 weeks in a row!
Either you do a ***** job mowing and customer cant tell your there or you have a dead beat on your hands.
Me myself i use the write down the date and time method and also use a piece of paper that says your lawn was serviced today with date and time on it and stick it in there door.
I have 143 accounts and dont have a contract with a single one. I dont have the problems you are having. I guess it is all about the walkthrough at time of sale and when i did sell some customers i let the deadbeats go. If i even thought they would renig on a deal i just told them to find another lawn company.
So my suggestion to you would be forget the contract stuff waste of time and will piss off some customers. Just tell the customer that is giving you problems that you will stick a sheet of paper in his door to let him know you was there or ask him how he wants to know? Contracts are not needed trust me. I havent had a problem yet with a mow this year or getting pad.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:41 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
I think what you need to do is spend a few thousand dollars on advertising and keep spending real BIG money on newspaper and yellow pages ads until you have SO much work that you don't even got time to THINK! Hell yeah, once you're working so hard that the only thing bothers you is some will NOT get done (because it's THAT much WORK), you should be straight then.
At that point, it also becomes much less of a big deal when something is one cut off - It just don't matter anymore. That and you are so physically worn out, I am telling you: You don't got time to think about it - You CAN'T, you're too tired.

Let me put it another way:
I got SO much work, I have maybe 2-3 lawns get cut weekly, but really most my customers are lucky they get a cut every 10 or 14 days in the SPRING!
Ok now it's summer so things are slow THUS the schedule staggers accordingly: Most my customers are on 2-3 week schedules, it's JULY, the grass grows SLOW even IF it rains every day! A few of mine are on 12-14 days, most the rest, see ya next month, and lalala the 15k I grossed helps cover this bs.
How can that be good? Well, again: I got SO much work, it just don't matter cuz I don't got TIME to cut it any more often, it's all I can do, 10 yards/day is peak production (100%).
Now, everybody is happy:
I cut like 10 yards/day, sustained, no joke. - Money? Sheee, like a mofo - 300+ / day, I grossed 15 thousand in 3 months (apr+may+jun).
And...
They are happy because the grass-cutting fees are not killing their budget.
How can a relaxed grass-cutting schedule earn so much money? SIMPLE! Get 50+ grass customers solo, that's the answer.

Sometimes...
Grass a little tall? Yeah, I know... 15hp Kohler with some Amoco Premium and some synthetic oil take care of that in no time 't all, i dun even think it gonna cost extra cauz it won't take no longer than if it was shorter (and a lot of times, it don't).
Grass wet? Yeah, I know... Ultra-light 300lb. fixed deck won't get stuck in your yard like them heavy floating deck 500lb. behemoths. Don't worry, I'll cut it the very next day after it stops raining, there will be NO marks in your yard AND it don't cost extra because it does NOT take longer.

yup.

Oh, one last thing: Hard physical labor helps absorb the insanity which threatens to take over your mind. The harder you work, the better.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclawnmowerman
I have 143 accounts and dont have a contract with a single one. I dont have the problems you are having.
Yeah see, here's another one got so much work he ain't got time for contracts.
No contracts for me either, no thank you.

All I got is 55 active accounts but I define my accounts different but whatever, I got enough work to keep me so busy that I don't got time for all that waste of time paperwork contract garbage.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:44 PM
bobbygedd bobbygedd is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,188
$15,000 in 3 months? SEAN, DO THEY HAVE A WELFARE FORUM HERE? i spend more than that on beer. cmon man....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-17-2005, 04:50 PM
kclawnmowerman kclawnmowerman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: kansas city
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
$15,000 in 3 months? SEAN, DO THEY HAVE A WELFARE FORUM HERE? i spend more than that on beer. cmon man....
LOl thats not much money Sean, I spend that on gas in 3months lol. But anyway bobby try what i was saying Stick a paper in the door of the ******* who dont think you were there and put time and date on the paper. That should take care of it without putting more paper in your contrats. I dont see the need for contracts. If i dont have a customer pay me i just driveby and throw gas on there lawns. Oldfashion type of law here.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
$15,000 in 3 months? SEAN, DO THEY HAVE A WELFARE FORUM HERE? i spend more than that on beer. cmon man....
It all depends on your standard of living... when your electric bill averages 80/month year-round, then we're on the same level.
Now I'll tell you something else: One of the reasons I own, drive, bought and paid for (in full) 2 bmw's is to show high-falluting fancy folk who think they're better than me because they show more green that *I* can show the green too, but as a rule I don't do it because it doesn't make a difference. The only reason I did is to show what's is face things are not that bad, and besides I think most business owners lie about their gross income anyway, and even more so if they drink...
...
Far as the beer, I did it daily for 13-some years I drank myself into oblivion with 12-packs and cases, I spent hundreds of thousands and got so many DUI's I shouldn't even have a driver's license but then I haven't drank a drop in 5 years and today my driving record is perfect.
Hopefully you never get into the kind of legal situation where in order to avoid doing 5 or 10 years, you join the Freedom Witness Protection Program which basically means if you screw up ONE more time, it's Life in prison without parole for you. Hopefully, by the time you have your first grand-mal seizure you can quit like I did, but if you can't, then you know you're in the final stages of a deadly disease called alcoholism. But really the sooner you can quit the better, now maybe if your problem is the way I think it is, you can't quit because that was my problem for a LONG time - I could NOT quit! It's not a matter of I don't want to quit or I don't need to quit or whatever, the fact is sometimes no matter what you do, you can not quit, and if things are like that, then it sucks.

Good luck with the alcohol, you may need it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 PM
rodfather's Avatar
rodfather rodfather is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Clinton, NJ
Posts: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I spent hundreds of thousands and got so many DUI's I shouldn't even have a driver's license but then I haven't drank a drop in 5 years and today my driving record is perfect.
Hundreds of thousands...your profile says you are 38. So since you haven't had anything (to drink that is) in 5 years, you spent all this $$$ up until the ripe old age of 33???

Explain this if you would be so kind.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-17-2005, 05:17 PM
bobbygedd bobbygedd is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 10,188
he's full of crap, and besides, if he had to look at godzilla without teeth (my mother in law) he'd drink to this day. look there are people who can handle booze, and people who can't. i never had a dui, don't plan to.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 PM
kclawnmowerman kclawnmowerman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: kansas city
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Hundreds of thousands...your profile says you are 38. So since you haven't had anything (to drink that is) in 5 years, you spent all this $$$ up until the ripe old age of 33???

Explain this if you would be so kind.
I drink but not while working or driving. let us know
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.10825 seconds with 7 queries