Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2005, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

topsites

i was going yo jump in and agree with you until that post #33

try "i have" instead of "i got"......

also your claims are so far over the top..... i call BS on your posts....

i guess there is finally someone here that is more full of BS than bobby.......

but back to the origional post about 6 page contracts..............

i think that is rediculus for a residental client. i just think bobby either makes up all these problems to get people here talking, or has some serious personality/work issues......

we have the occasional problem with a client, but the discrepancies are nothing a contract would solve..... and if they don't pay, we drop them.....

a day in small claims court would cost us about $300.00 for me to show up.. i'm not about to spend $300.00 to collect $150.00

also you think 10 yards a day is a lot??????
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Hundreds of thousands...your profile says you are 38. So since you haven't had anything (to drink that is) in 5 years, you spent all this $$$ up until the ripe old age of 33???

Explain this if you would be so kind.
2 letters BS ....................................maybe thousands but not hundreds of thousands
Old 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Hundreds of thousands...your profile says you are 38. So since you haven't had anything (to drink that is) in 5 years, you spent all this $$$ up until the ripe old age of 33???

Explain this if you would be so kind.

Rod, I finely decided that he is full of himself. 10 yards a day...... he needs to learn a bit more.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGreenscapes
Rod, I finely decided that he is full of himself. 10 yards a day...... he needs to learn a bit more.
Another potential member for membership in Clowns R Us Brian...lol
Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i did, you know what he said? "NOBODY, it wasn't cut" this made me want to smack him right in front of his wife. 5 weeks without a cut, would result in a cornfield!. it always struck me as odd, how someone could have work done on thier property, and not know it. i have a grapevine, with roughly 10,000 grapes on it. if i leave in the morning, and come back at 3 pm, if a bird took even one grape off that vine, i would notice it missing the minute i pulled into the driveway. and this guy, didn't notice his lawn was mowed, wacked, and edged, 4 weeks in a row!
I have noticed if I come up with a good question in these times, it remedies the whole situation, such as: "Were you sitting in your windowsill peaking out the curtain all day long every day looking for me to come?? Their answer will be no, so then I would ask them, "How do you know I didn't come?". There would be some silence, then stuttering, then they would soon thereafter be writing me out a check. This works 99% of the time, come up with the good questions. THis is social stuff now, don't try to combat social with business.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yardpro, that's the difference between you, and me. but thank god, it's not the only difference. if a client pulls that on you, you leave it so that they know they can pull the same stunt on the next 20 lawnboys. BUT, when they try and pull this stunt on me, the final result is, they will never try it again to me, or anyone else. in a nutshell, people like me, make a difference. thanks brad
Old 07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, tell the guy, "Hey, if we are so stealth and professional that you can't tell we were here, then we are doing a really good job, huh? No tires tracks, no grass clippings anywhere, not lingering on the property, all four-stroke (quiet) equipment. I bet everyone wishes their lawn guy was as stealth as my operation is."

Depending on how you deal with social situations, it can make or break your business.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
i understand, but how do you adress these issues? they MUST BE adressed. the sprinkler thing for example, how do you adress that? the "you werent here" crap, how do you adress that?
Could he not tell that the property had been mowed more often? I mean, after 5 weeks surely he could tell some it had been mowed more often than that.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magpie
Depending on how you deal with social situations, it can make or break your business.
I had a customer complain to me that his grass was burning out and asked me what to do. I told him he needed to water it more. He insisted he watered it every day already. I couldnt exactly call BS right there to his face, although I knew it was. So I told him he should consider planting more tree's then. Since I diffused the situation, but still told him what he needed to know (water the lawn more), he started watering more often on his own, and his lawn was looking better by the next cut.

As far as your original topic on billing disputes, I have a couple ideas. First, what are your billing cylces? 6 weeks on one bill sounds like you may not be on a regular monthly cycle, but more a close to monthly cycle. Customers percieve this irregularity as unprofessional. Not sure your cycle, but thats one thought.

And as far as a dispute on cuts, it has only happened to me once, and I use the time & date written @ every cut similar to you. It was a honest mistake, I billed him for a cut, and the next month I put that same cut on his bill again. I looked at my records, found the duplicate billing, and fixed it. I have never had a dispute with no validity. I cut on a regular schedule, and have NEVER been later than the day after there normal scheduled cut date, regardless of weather, equipment, or whatever. That helps ALOT becuase they KNOW I am there every week without fail.

Kevin
Old 07-17-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
he's full of crap, and besides, if he had to look at godzilla without teeth (my mother in law) he'd drink to this day. look there are people who can handle booze, and people who can't. i never had a dui, don't plan to.
Your chances of getting caught are about 1 in 1000 per incident, your odds are good and the longer you play, the longer the odds work, too.
Handling alcohol... what is there to handling a 12-pack? you're drunk!
don't worry, i seen more than a few lawnboys drink until it literally killed them, swore to the last day it wasn't affecting them, they could handle it, they were not alkies, many of them could down a case and not appear drunk but drunk they were... I can drink a 12-pack and not appear drunk too but to me, that's an indication of a serious problem.
At least it explains your attitude towards me and the exuberance, the intolerance, and the extravagance.