Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

variable speed pulley...

Do you know of anyone who manufacturers one with a 1 1/8" hole with a 1/4" keyway. I did a motor swap on an older Bunton, installing a 19 HP Kawasaki, that has a 1 1/8" shaft. Now the 1" variable speed pulley does not fit. Or maybe, do you know if the 1" can be machined out to 1 1/8" ???
Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

in a word, yes, you can expand the hole to accomodate the larger shaft diameter, but keep in mind that if you aren't spot on in milling the hole you can end up with vibration which can lead to severe damage. i'm sure you're fully aware of the consequences so i won't regale you with the time i attempted something similar and watched helplessly as my pulley exploded and tore through my machine. if you want, i can look up the correct pulley for your kawasaki engine. what is the engine's model number? (and serial if you can provide it)
Old 07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one machined out to fit, never had a problem.I might still have it. Motor died, can't remember if it came off clean.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

variable speed pulley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wall
I had one machined out to fit, never had a problem.I might still have it. Motor died, can't remember if it came off clean.
OK, Finally I am starting to get somewhere with this question !!! I had posted it in the mechanical repair area, only to see it die a slow death. SO, the idea that a vsp (variable speed pulley) CAN BE machined from a 1" hole to a 1 1/8" hole is not out of the question. I have the old pulley from the old motor. I thought that maybe my idea was too wild, or something, because no one wanted to touch the question. Machine the hole out a total of 1/8" and re-make the 1/4" keyway right where it is. Mike, your's lasted for the total time that the motor did ??? This would become a back-up mower, and only be used on an ocassional basis. What do ya think ???
Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

yes, unfortunately due to the terms of the lawnsite sponsor agreement i am not allowed to participate in discussions outside of our sponsor forum. otherwise, i think i could provide some insight to a lot of the unanswered questions in the mechanics and repair forum.

but for your particular question i have no positive experience, and i'm glad that michael is able to help out. one of my mechanics here says it is possible and wouldn't be difficult if you had the proper machining tools. i hope your project works out for you, let us know how it goes
Old 08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

variable speed pulley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by partstree
yes, unfortunately due to the terms of the lawnsite sponsor agreement i am not allowed to participate in discussions outside of our sponsor forum. otherwise, i think i could provide some insight to a lot of the unanswered questions in the mechanics and repair forum.

but for your particular question i have no positive experience, and i'm glad that michael is able to help out. one of my mechanics here says it is possible and wouldn't be difficult if you had the proper machining tools. i hope your project works out for you, let us know how it goes
Mike has shipped the part to me. It is machined exactly as I need. I only have to whittle-down the keyway, and I will be all set. The hole in the puley was machined, but NOT the key way slot. That I am going to have to do by myself. Thanks again for all of your help...JIM DAILEY.