Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to keep bothering everyone

Here's another one..

I have decited to go with some door hangers....

Now I looking for advice on location...

I know I need to try to stay close to home and go to the rich areas.." or people who would suscribe to a lawn service.."

But other than that is there anything else I may be overlooking?

Thanks again everyone..
Old 07-22-2005, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not neccesarily in your interest to target rich areas only.
You should know that people with everyday 9 to 5's are the ones who will make up 90% of your business when it all comes out in the wash.Middle income people need their yards done too.As well as retired,and there are a whole lot of old widows who spend alot of money on lawn and garden care also.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Its been my experience that the ones who get their hands dirty in the day dont want to at night. Look for affluent but blue collar neighborhoods...don't have to be "rich" but atleast well off.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
It's not neccesarily in your interest to target rich areas only.
You should know that people with everyday 9 to 5's are the ones who will make up 90% of your business when it all comes out in the wash.Middle income people need their yards done too.As well as retired,and there are a whole lot of old widows who spend alot of money on lawn and garden care also.

I agree, keep in mind also that people with smaller yards are where you will likely be able to make money at a higher rate especially because you probably wont want to be cutting ANY lawn for under $15. I currently service 3 houses on a block with small yards two right next to each other and one diagonally accross the street. Do all 3 at the same time takes about 35 mintues at $15 each for a total of $45 - works out to be $77 and change per hour. Keep in mind this is with pretty crappy equipment.

My $.02 is to look to target middle class areas with small/medium lawns that are close together. This will not only be more efficient to you but will also be great advertising to others in that small development/block/community.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, I feel that people who work for a living are more likely to be understanding towards yard-work and less likely to give you that 'better-than-thou' attitude. At least that's been my experience, it's gotten to the point I'd rather give an estimate in a low-to-middle class neighborhood before I give it to the rich folk because rich folk can be sooo stingy and picky.

Last but not least, and this may be different, perhaps my figures are skewed, but rich people rip me off MORE than anyone else (far as who don't pay, whose check bounces, etc, etc)...
It makes me think, everytime, that's how they get rich...
Old 07-23-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRave07
I currently service 3 houses on a block with small yards two right next to each other and one diagonally accross the street. Do all 3 at the same time takes about 35 mintues at $15 each for a total of $45 - works out to be $77 and change per hour. Keep in mind this is with pretty crappy equipment.
So what happenes if two of those accounts drop off? (for whatever reason)

How long will you make a $15 dollar stop, if for some reason you can't pick up replacements in a "one stop" radius?

I'm too new to go around being an ass on the forum......but these are things I need to know how to handle to keep working for a profit.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Landscaping
So what happenes if two of those accounts drop off? (for whatever reason)

How long will you make a $15 dollar stop, if for some reason you can't pick up replacements in a "one stop" radius?

I'm too new to go around being an ass on the forum......but these are things I need to know how to handle to keep working for a profit.
Actually about 15 minutes no more than 20 including loading/unloading equipment, its right in the middle of town drive right past it 4-5 times a day. Was a neighborhood that I did not even target in advertising, I am hoping to add some more accounts in the same area next year.

Any $15 lawn probably isn't going to be in the middle of nowhere and also there is a pretty good chance that every property in a 3 block radius would be priced pretty similar. Its a major bonus to have properties all close together but in this case I would lose no sleep over it because of its location and abundance of properties that I haven't begun to advertise to.