Register free!

Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

aquascapes

My business only averages 3 or 4 ponds a year, and we use the Aquascapes bio-falls, skimmer, and pumps. I went to a local Aquascapes dealer last month to purchase all of the components for a pond job. I had noticed 5 or 6 of the new style aquascape pumps in a pile on the floor. After inquiring about the pumps, I was told they were all returned pumps that had failed (under warranty). The problem (the pump shaft) has supposedly been corrected by the factory in China. With a 2 year warranty, I went ahead and bought the 3000 series pump. No problems yet.

While installing the pond, we couldn't get the bulkhead fitting for the bio-falls to tighten. After applying about 5 foot pounds of torque, the fitting breaks loose from the threads. I called the local dealer again, and he said all of the bulkhead fitting are like this.... try some silicone around the fitting, and the factory in China has corrected the problem. We ended up using an old (5 years plus) bulkhead fitting that worked fine.

So the pond is complete and running. Several days later the customer calls saying the Bio-falls empties within 3 hours when she turns the pond off. I go back and find a check valve that lets water go backwards through the plumbing. Called the local dealer again, and he said to bring the defective check valve back for a replacement. The replacement (and all of his inventory) also allows water to flow backwards. He said they have been having problems with the flapper valve, but the factory in Taiwan has corrected the problem.

Am I the only one having problems with Aquascapes products? Anyone out there using other brands that you are happy with?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i stay as far away from aquascapes as possible...

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

great pond equipment source

edited by moderator
Old 07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditching Aquacapes

Just got back from the Penn Atlantic Nursery Trade Show. Lots of other pond supply manufacturers.

Thanks for the link Jason- I will spend some time checking out your site and stoneycreek.

Years ago I used a Cyprio green machine filter, completely buried. I was glad to see this filter still being produced when I was at the PANTS show. Anyone use this filter?

Gotta get away from Aquascapes!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i use and realy like OASE filters/pressure filters. also savio equipment is good as well.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 08-01-2005, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

i too am getting real tired of having aquascape pumps go bad. they are junk!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Saw 2 Aquascapes pumps returned

I saw 2 pumps brought back while I was at a local dealer. They tried the damage control thing and advised the installers are getting something called "Aquabucks" for their trouble when I asked about the pumps.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I have only put in 2 Aquascapes ponds both this year and Have had one cord on my pump was cut so it was throwing the breaker. When I called the first person I talked to said they would not replace it. So I called again and the next person would replace it go figure. I still cost me $15 to ship it back to them.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had to return every Aquascape pump I put in last year. One pump had to be returned twice. To make it worse I had to pay for shipping. I used to think Aquascapes was top notch but now I am looking at other suppliers. Could be they are getting too big too fast and not paying enough attention to quality. Bought some underwaterfall lights, put two in and one didn't work right out of the box. Glad I took an extra one that day.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Aquascapes

Yea, it's easy to rip on Aquascapes. I agree there are some problems there. But, I must say, without the Wittstock's there wouldn't be much of a pond building industry in this country today. Maybe Greg is lucky, maybe smart, probably both, but I for one am thankful for the impact his vision has had on my own business. You know the saying, "a rising tide lifts all ships?" Well, Aquascape Designs was a Tsunami for pond builder's "ships" in the 90's in my opinion. Greg Wittstock is to ponds what Joe Weider is to Bodybuilding, what Vince McMahon is to Pro Wrestling and what Martha Stewart is to... whatever you call what it is she does!

Sure, a lot of my water feature business is dedicated to "fixing" poorly planned out and installed Aquascape ponds, but, what the heck, IT'S BUSINESS! Aquascapes has done more to make people (1) AWARE of ponds and (2) DESIRE ponds than any one or any other company, period. That can only be good for all of us, don't you think? Anyone agree?