Register free!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

BcX400, Yes the pressurized filters are very nice. Please keep in mind when picking one of these filters always ask alot of questions about interior design.
Are the filter pads stiff enough to hold many pounds of dirt? Or do they pull away from the sides of the barrel once full? How are the filter pads designed. Porous enough to allow beneficial bacteria to survive and multiply. Are their other sizes of pourous filter padsincluded in the interior assortment? IE: Dirt pad etc. Is the filter easy to clean? Do you have to disconnect the barrel cap to clean completely? Do the filters compress during cleaning? This allows protection of the embedded bacteria without flushing water thru the pads. These are questions to always ask. Stay away from filters with anything other than filter pads. Filter pads offer the most surface space for beneficial bacteria to multiply. Other form of media are just inferior.
Thanks ADDINC99@aol.com
Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We like the savio system. Have had good luck w/ tsunami pumps too.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcx400
Years ago I used a Cyprio green machine filter, completely buried. I was glad to see this filter still being produced when I was at the PANTS show. Anyone use this filter?

Gotta get away from Aquascapes!
Yeah... I don't like the Green machines anymore. Constantly replacing the filter foams and cleaning them almost daily in the summers... just bad design. Plus once the sides warp a touch you're S.O.L...

Aquascapes is pretty much low mid-grade pond stuff. Its better that the worst of stuff, but cant really hang with the market and keep costs that low. But they're not trying to put out the best new stuff either. They found a niche where they could offshoot economical stuff that produces reasonably well at first and saturate the market with it. I would never use thier stuff on a job, becuase I would put my companies reputation on the line by gambling on thier product.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for a CAC Certified Aquascape Contractor. This summer I went with my boss to Pondemonium, a large gathering of contractors, seminars taking place and waterfall building contest and a lot of fun, in Chicago.

I'm a young guy and this is my 3rd year working in the water garden industry and I ENVY Greg Wittstock in soo many ways. He KNOWS how to run a very succesful company. I think what all the bashing on the forum is about commoditization, for example the PRICE of a kit!! But a company shouldn't sell on price more on the value of the pond and itself....
Ok, im sounding like a salesman in some way i guess.

I attached a pic of me and greg wittstock and my boss on the far right, I think its kinda a bad pic, I've gained some weight since then
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman22487
I think what all the bashing on the forum is about commoditization, for example the PRICE of a kit!! But a company shouldn't sell on price more on the value of the pond and itself....
Exactly... Its a usable product for what you pay for it. I use only high end equipment for the reliability and ease of maintainance. Noone I install a pond for has ever encountered equipment failure or will ever perform any cleaning duties other than backwashing. Using screen or foam media that requires cleaning turns the pond into a chore. Why not pay more up front, get the best equipment out there and NEVER have cleaning duties?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

PS- I respect the fact that you are not only sticking up for your company, but also are taking opprotunities to learn as much as you can about your field at such an early age. JT
Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUrugger
PS- I respect the fact that you are not only sticking up for your company, but also are taking opprotunities to learn as much as you can about your field at such an early age. JT
Do you have any pics of your ponds that you have installed?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I take pictures of every job I do. If you want me to post some, it may take a bit, I don't feel like figuring that out right now, and vacation awaits.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Call aquascapes directly!!
I never deal with the go between. If you find a problem- they try to fix it or find a solution asap. SOme people dont take proper care of the pumps in winter. That may be an issue too.
Aquascapes is great. Like i said i deal direct.