Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best website hosting service?

I already have the website done, but I was wonder which company is the best to host with.

godaddy?

thanks SY

Roll Tide Roll
Old 07-22-2005, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think in your case you need a reliable virtual host (shared hosting), unless you're planning to get in excess of a quarter-million hits/month (~20k visitors).

Price-wise it's a teenie bit higher than some, but this company is number one for a good reason, I had my site hosted on their servers for a few months and was spoiled rotten by the unparalleled service and reliability of Yahoo Web hosting.
Here's 25mb + 10gb bandwidth for 8.95 / month:
http://order.sbs.yahoo.com/ds/Choose...&ext=&.src=geo

And no I don't get paid any commission, that is the same link you get if you click through from Yahoo's main page via the geocities link.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yankee, if you're not a complete web geek yet, i'd highly suggest going with a big name provider. this might mean higher costs, but you also stand to lose less in the long run. besides, we're talking about a very cheap 24/365 advertisement for your business. there is likely not a better ROI. i say this more for the reason that you know they will be there tomorrow (or tonight for that matter...). godaddy does not have the best help system if you are a newbie, but yahoo is definitely geared to such a target. whatever you do, don't base a choice on price. it's very similar to the scrub vs. not-a-scrub discussions.

i would caution you, or anyone else, to be very careful with any of the ultra-cheap hosts. the little secret of hosting is that 99 out of 100 times, i'd hazard a guess that a host is not a true host, but rests it's webhosting venture's fate on another host. these are known as reseller accounts. a reality of re-seller accounts and the layered hosting and the culpability issues involved can be "hazy" to say the least. you might hire hotdomainzzzz.com to host your site for 3 dollars a month, but if your site goes down, or worse yet, is yanked, hotdomainzzz.com can take all of the support requests you can send, but they ultimately have to contact the next host up the line to try and resolve an issue. fly-by-night outfits is a very legitimate concern as i've had to help many recover their domains due to such tie-ups. basically, with the ultra-cheap hosts, it can be a house of cards and i wouldn't recommend it for new entries into the web world. i can put it another way, which is to say that for $25 a month, anyone can become a "web host" and sell services. it can be difficult, but be sure to check them out as best you can.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am stuck between godaddy and Yahoo. Go daddy gives me a bunch more options, plus I can have the optional traffic viewer which is a plus. I am leaning towards godaddy, but I am open to Yahoo.

Basically I need to pay for a domain and webhosting?

Roll Tide Roll
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee

Basically I need to pay for a domain and webhosting?
If you want it to look professional, yes.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I just abandoned a site on godaddy because they are too much of a pain.

Godaddy is real cheap and it is easy to load bits with ftp for a basic web page, but beyond that, with their economy plan anyway, you cannot run the basic managment tools if you have a sql database, boards, etc...

I use a number of hosts and godaddy is terrible in my book.

Lots of solutions out there... Lunarpages.com isn't bad. Reasonably priced and reasonable tools to work with.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
yankee, if you're not a complete web geek yet, i'd highly suggest going with a big name provider. this might mean higher costs, but you also stand to lose less in the long run. besides, we're talking about a very cheap 24/365 advertisement for your business. there is likely not a better ROI. i say this more for the reason that you know they will be there tomorrow (or tonight for that matter...). godaddy does not have the best help system if you are a newbie, but yahoo is definitely geared to such a target. whatever you do, don't base a choice on price. it's very similar to the scrub vs. not-a-scrub discussions.

i would caution you, or anyone else, to be very careful with any of the ultra-cheap hosts. the little secret of hosting is that 99 out of 100 times, i'd hazard a guess that a host is not a true host, but rests it's webhosting venture's fate on another host. these are known as reseller accounts. a reality of re-seller accounts and the layered hosting and the culpability issues involved can be "hazy" to say the least. you might hire hotdomainzzzz.com to host your site for 3 dollars a month, but if your site goes down, or worse yet, is yanked, hotdomainzzz.com can take all of the support requests you can send, but they ultimately have to contact the next host up the line to try and resolve an issue. fly-by-night outfits is a very legitimate concern as i've had to help many recover their domains due to such tie-ups. basically, with the ultra-cheap hosts, it can be a house of cards and i wouldn't recommend it for new entries into the web world. i can put it another way, which is to say that for $25 a month, anyone can become a "web host" and sell services. it can be difficult, but be sure to check them out as best you can.
i have read a ton of your post Tony and i am very impressed with your knowledge of the net, so what in your opinion is the best for a new host. i need to start up with a new host as my last was a 2 year contract at a great price but too much hassel to update. I guess what i'm saying is would you recommend yahoo and would it get exposed on the engines or would i have to buy my way on to them.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek

i would caution you, or anyone else, to be very careful with any of the ultra-cheap hosts. the little secret of hosting is that 99 out of 100 times, i'd hazard a guess that a host is not a true host, but rests it's webhosting venture's fate on another host.
Yes I am with you 100% on this and although we can both only guess, my suspicions on this matter are firm, the only thing missing is factual proof but everything I've experienced points the finger towards what you just explained about servers. I won't go much further but the resentment lingers to this day, 3 years after my last negative experience.

Uptime or performance-wise, nothing is guaranteed but with Yahoo, someone is always there and you can at least call them on the telephone or via email. Their response rate to free / non-paying visitors is understandably poor (they get more hits in an hour than I get in a month) but this is NOT the case with their paying customers, they will get back to you (at least they always answered my emails). This is far better than wondering where your host is when the server is down, unfortunately there WILL be some down-times but little is less frustrating than server owners gone fishing for 3 days figuring it would be ok.

With Yahoo your site won't be hosted by no scrubs because I promise you Yahoo really is number one... They know wtf they're doing.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee
I already have the website done, but I was wonder which company is the best to host with.

godaddy?

thanks SY

www.readyhosting.com.

Been with them years and no downtime. $99 flat rate with unlimited bandwidth.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

stumper, i'll agree with topsites on that one. yahoo has a nice help system in place and is geared towards beginners, which is a bonus. godaddy has very little in the way of help files, especially for scripts, forms, and such. i've helped a couple of people on here get their godaddy sites functioning properly, and came to be disappointed when having access to their accounts.

also, when it comes to options, step back and see what you actually need.

tony