Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2001, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone bought/used the new Stihl FC85 stick edger? I just saw a picture of it in PRO magazine that came in todays mail. The guard on it looks heavy, but well engineered. I hate it when I'm edging around pine trees and all the needles get jammed up in the guard on my echo. I don't think I'd have that problem with the Stihl.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 03-07-2001, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed, ran the unit at GIE in Indy last Nov. Seemed to me to be a great improvement over curved shafts, and the open guard was terrific. Am on waiting list at local dealer. Have not seen any out in stores yet, and they did not even show it on website when I was there last.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My local dealer has them. Well, let me rephrase that. He is sold out right now. He had one put back for me but called to ask if he could sell it to someone else and order me one since I didn't need it right away. So mine is on order, but should be here any day.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:40 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I have a FC75. Is that the same thing only 4 years old?

Mine is a straight shaft top of the line unit.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The guard looks heavy, but it is really not. Basically all it is, is a big plastic mud flap. Completely functional, and the blade area is all open so it will not clog. I checked one out today at the expo, and I am sold. I am buying this and the Stihl rubber paddle sweeping attachment to change on the end of it. This attachment is the ULTIMATE thing to use to clean gravel out of ditches and off turf on roadsides that was thrown by plows.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-08-2001, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had mine for over a week now. This is my first stick edger (I've been using a wheeled edger), so I don't have anything to compare it to. Power is no problem. Have not had any problems with clogging.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

ATTENTION NORTHERN GUYS

ALL I HEAR IS STICK EDGER. BUT MOST ARE FROM THE SOUTH WITH SANDY SOIL .MY DEALER SAYS I NEED A LARGE WHEELED MACHINE LIKE A WONDER EDGER .ANY ONE FROM THE NORTH WITH CLAY TYPE SOIL USE THESE STICK EDGERS .I D RATHER USE ONE IF I M NOT GOING TO GET HIT WITH ROCKS AN ALL. GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS
Old 03-08-2001, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

EXCUSE ME!

Sand is at the beach............we have clay in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and all along the coastal States. I use the stick edger every day, not no danged wheeled edger, and it does fine, great as a matter of fact.

Move into the 21st century, get rid of the old slow equipment and step up to the more efficient stuff. Salesman try to move what ain.t moving cause they have tp pay for it.................don.t listen to them, listen to those that do this day in and day out!
Old 03-08-2001, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Tell him like it is Hoomer.