Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my other line of work as a firefighter/paramedic I see some things that are yours and my worse nightmares. Bottom line in my thick skull is - you dont make the rules. It dont matter if you are young or old, rich, poor or somewhere in between, when the numbers up your gone. You tell me why little kids die and the smoking drinking wife beater dies at 83. If anyone of you are asked when and how ya want to go please call or e-mail me asap. <br>Enjoy your life and your family. Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:24 PM

They got a new operation out for acid reflux that cures it. I read that in the paper today. I drink Lite beer. Not as much as I use to though. I try not to eat any sugar. No smoking. No nutra sweet or asperatame. They have a sedetive affect on me. Fast food junky. One cup of coffee in the morning
Old 04-27-2000, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I work out at least 4 days per week including weight training and about 4 hours of aerobic activity (running on treadmill or stationary bike). I'm almost 34 and have been doing this for about 20 years-yes since age of 13. I don't go as hard and heavy as I use to but I still do enough to maintain what I have gained over the years. The squats have taken there toll on my knees but with 400mg of Advil and a 10 minute walk they usually loosen within an hour. Before I quit my job last year at a local company I would work out after work, now I have to disipline myself to go in the morning before I do anything else. When I went to fulltime lawncare I skipped most of my workouts through the summer last year because I wanted to get an early start on mowing. Starting early allowed me to get done sooner but than I was to tired to work out. So now I'm in the gym at 7:30 and don't start mowing until 9:00 to 9:30. On days I don't work out I start mowing about 8:00. I can say by the end of last season I could feel the effects of skipping all those work outs, so over the winter I started working out again and got back into my previous shape and feel a whole lot better. I don't see how anyone who does this job with the exception of a 20 year old could sustain it over the long haul without including some kind of exercise, especially cardiovascular exercise. It definately helps on those 95 degree 100% humidity days.<br>I would encourage all to include some kind of exercise into their daily lives. You'll definately feel the difference, mentally and physically.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MOW ED <br>Couldn't disagree with your statemant. It's your time, it's your time. Can't forget my first DOA when I was a C.H.P. officer. A duece crossed the double line and went head on into a semi. The driver of the rig was thrown into a tree branch, the duece only had cuts and was mumbling about his car.<p>I smoke. I drink. But I work my _ _ _ off all the time. Plus the wife makes me do chores around the house when I take a day off. Would I change my life, no way! Landscaping and maintenance is one of the best jobs where you get excercise, and see the efforts of your hard work.<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 04-27-2000, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

first of all, walkerrider, is the 17 year old single?? that has everything to do with my health!! No im totally kidding!! Oh and my liver is fine, but u should have been a little worried if you saw me on my cruise(ya it killed my business for the week!!) But hey, they were only Coronas!!! But on a serious note, i dont smoke, that was just a major bender, do inhale raw carbon monoxide from the big exhaust leak in my truck (should get that little rumble fixed, u think???) And i used to run track but now im just lazy. Oh ya and i eat horribly.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually Matt she is single. But I got to tell you Im holding out for a pretty good dowry. By the way what type mower did you say you got? We might be able to discuss this further.
Old 04-27-2000, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no drinking , no drugs for me.....i had a problem with that stuff but quit it all....now my biggest fear is skin cancer this florida sun can be brutal<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-27-2000, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In high school I used to lift & work out. Now work is my workout, & I don't lift weights-they're too heavy -LOL.<br>I actually got to the point where I looked at it that weightlifting is a perfect way to use up your energy source for the day & leave you empty. We all know that's untrue, but it feels like it.<br>I've gone to church most all my life, so I guess I've been spared from smoking & drinking, which I'm thankful for. I tried smoking at 13, & my other family members smoke, but never appealed to me. One less needless expense- I need to keep what little $$ I've got! <br>My food diet is another story. I should be a major shareholder in Little Debbies for all the $$ I've given them over the last 16 yrs.<br>Trying to cut down on constant snacking, & my high metabolism isn't keeping up with all the junk food anymore, so I'm trying to eat healthier.<br>For excersise, I unhook my WB sulky & walk behind it every so often-WHEW! Been awhile. But I have been blessed with good health, & am thankful for it, & am trying to keep it that way. I HAVE noticed I can't bounce around like I used to over the last few yrs.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Smitty,<br>Those $.99 Swiss Cake Rolls Rule!
Old 04-27-2000, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Age 32. I haven't had a 21 year old yet that could out work or out run me. Don't know how long it will last. In the winter I hike 6 miles per day if time allows. When I sit, I get sick, I can't stop moving. I'm like the logger on the log in the water, spinning it with his feet in one of those competitions. I can't stop untill I fall off.