Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2005, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
my collection methods involve intimidation and unorthadox methods such as- calling thier home at 2 am, using foul language, then showing up at 2:15 am to collect (it works, done it). being persistant, calling several times daily. follow them to the supermarket, when they are in the middle of a crowded isle, say VERY LOUDLY, " oh, hi mr smith, can you pay your grasscutting bill? it's 2 months overdue, i really need it, i have a family to feed, it's obvious you been avoiding me..." or of course the shovel. when you walk up to the door, bring a shovel, hold it over your shoulder, and be a bit "pursuasive", "mr. smith i think this has gone far enough, why don't you just pay your bill before this gets ugly....." trust me it works. being "nice" will never work.
I am with you, they used to walk all over me back in the days when I even thought about being nice, but what you do with the shovel that scares me because it is criminal ... Not to say I've never done something criminal, for me nothing worked quite like grabbing someone by the throat to get the message across. Still, it's criminal and I don't like being scared (the mere possibility of going to jail scares me really bad). So I stopped using those tacticts.
Now I use psychological warfare myself, the bit with the supermarket is new to me but I like that one a LOT (nothing criminal about it, for one). I also like driving past their house FREQUENTLY and SLOWLY, thou that one is 50-50, only works sometimes. The newest one I found that works real good is showing up and taking pictures with a digital camera ad nauseaum. You could use a regular camera without film as well, the point here isn't the pictures, but you're hoping someone sees you doing it without you being obvious about it.

NEVER, EVER start an argument unless you're ready and willing to have the last word by ending it QUICK either physically or with the threat of it, if need be. Shouting matches suck and never end and you don't get paid unless you somehow shut them up (and unfortunately, shutting them up usually involves either a fight, a punch, or the threat of it - ah yes, there goes that criminal aspect again). The argument scenario is one reason I don't like talking to ppls who owe me money, I don't even answer the phone when they call because all I want is my check, and not some never-ending blablabla. But the supermarket bit, that one is a nice exception until you run into one that don't mind showing their own arse a bit... Unlikely, thou.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uhhhh, I think you got a new president of yer fan club Bobby
Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah And Lucky For Him 99 Percent Of People In Nj Cant Carry A Firearm Legally. Thats Why Ya Gotta Love It In Pa. A Business Owner That Has No Record Can Get A Permit To Carry. Joe Citizen Can Pop You On His Front Lawn If He Feels Threatened. And Its All Legal. Tends To Keep People In Line Both Ways.

We Had An Incident HERE ( NOT MY COMPANY ) A Few Years Back, A Crew Was Mulching And The Guy ( Middle Eastern ) Came Outside Asked A Few Dumb Questions Went Back In The House , Came Out With A Rifle..............popped Off A Shot Then It Jammed !! Oops .......the Amigos On The Crew Beat The Crap Out Of Him With Shovels And Rakes. The Homeowner Was Charged With Assault With A Deadly Weapon And The Co Walked Off The Job An Was Paid In Full In Exchange For Asking The Judge To Be Lenient. Turns Out The Homeowner Misunderstood A Few Spanish Words Spoken On The Other Side Of The Lawn In A Different Conversation To Be Some Kind Of Insult Toward Him And His Wife.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sir, walking up to the front door, with a shovel in your hand, is not criminal. now, if u had a baseball bat, i'd have to ask, "are you a baseball player? then why, the baseball bat?" try this: you cut the grass, you sweep up the street, pick up the crap with a shovel, keep shovel in hand, and knock on door. p.s, it helps to have huge arms, and have your sleeves rolled up high
Old 08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

www.bobbygedd.com
Old 08-06-2005, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootoomootoo
Sweeeeeettttt.
A site dedicated to the Gedd.
Should be a hit.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

sent bill, no check...yet

credit makes enemies, let's be friends.
I let my customers know up front I want payment at time of service. If they forget the check the first week, so be it. If they forget the check the second week, I don't mow.
Most of my customers pay twice a month. one,they either mail me a check for two services after I complete the first service and before I'm due back for a second. Or Two, they leave a check under the mat on my second visit.
I also give a SMALL discount for monthly prepays, but less than one percent take advantage of this.
remember, what works for me may not work for you, BUT I have Little bad debt!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sent the 2nd bill as I early posted and still nothing.

I went to there home and there is no answer. " I think there home"

going to send a 3rd bill today with the statement that all services have stopped. and because it has been 2 wks to continue we would have to start over and charge a "clean up" fee. the yard looks like crap guys

Dam It hurts me when people try to take advantage of others.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those F#*$%' ERS Still haven't paid me...

The shovel trick may be in use tomorrow,,

Can I Borrow some bail money from you guys?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa
Those F#*$%' ERS Still haven't paid me...

The shovel trick may be in use tomorrow,,

Can I Borrow some bail money from you guys?

Here, It cost $100 just to file small claims! People trying to scam you already know that.