Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2005, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Isuzu NPR cab & chassis

I just found a 1999 with 132,000 miles on it but it has a long wheel base. How much trouble is it to shorten the frame for a 10' long dump bed? It looks like it had an 18' box on it. The person that has it for sale hasn't gotten back to me on how much he wants for it. What would be a decent price on this truck. The frame has some rust scale on it but there is only one place on the cab that I noticed rust. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dan

The 109 inch wheel base will take a 10 ft bed nicely. The 130 inch wheel base which is standard for American Pick ups will take a 14 ft Bed. Both of these will just fit in a standard parking spot. If you are able to buy a 130 " wheel base I suggest you put a large Tool box in front of the 10 ft dump bed. Much less expense and a lot more versatility. There are many used Isuzu NPRs on the market and you should be able to buy one the right length and even with a Dump Bed. However I see more Box bed NPR than anything for sale and normally at a better price and condition. Many have been fleet maintained. The box can placed on the ground for storage and You can put what ever on them. 109 wheel base are generally used for Pesticide trucks, Wheel lift Tow Trucks or small Box trucks for local delivery. I believe it is hard to find a good 109 NPR used.

Bottom Line, I think you are opening a can of worms to try and shorten a truck chassis.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawngodfather has 3 NPR's one I helped him him put a 10' flat bed on it. one came with a 10' flat bed, and the other still has the tgcl body on it. We call it the turtle truck cause it looks like a turtle.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyfras
Lawngodfather has 3 NPR's one I helped him him put a 10' flat bed on it. one came with a 10' flat bed, and the other still has the tgcl body on it. We call it the turtle truck cause it looks like a turtle.

Grassyfras

I just was talking with LGF last night about those very trucks on AIM. He like to have a kitty when I told him I just sold a 7 x 11 flat bed made for a 109" NPR for only $ 600. But American duallies need a 8 ft wide bed to cover the wheels. The Isuzu frame is also differ width so the stringers won't fit either. If you take a quick look at NPRs you will notice the front tire and Outside back tire are on the same track instead of wider.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-14-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I found a 109" wheelbase GMC W4 so I don't have to shorten the frame. I put a 12' flat bed and hoist on a 1975 IH CO1710B so I know how to do it, that's not a problem. What I want to know is what kind of hoists they put on these trucks, PTO or electric? The truck has a 12' box on it now so I guess I will have to shorten the frame a little, at least behind the axle. What is the cab to end of frame length for a 10' dump bed? I also want to bolt my pintle hook on back for towing my trailers, what's the best way to do that? Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Uplinger
Ok, I found a 109" wheelbase GMC W4 so I don't have to shorten the frame. I put a 12' flat bed and hoist on a 1975 IH CO1710B so I know how to do it, that's not a problem. What I want to know is what kind of hoists they put on these trucks, PTO or electric? The truck has a 12' box on it now so I guess I will have to shorten the frame a little, at least behind the axle. What is the cab to end of frame length for a 10' dump bed? I also want to bolt my pintle hook on back for towing my trailers, what's the best way to do that? Thanks for all the help so far.

Dan

My NPR dump is a 130" wheel base with a 14' dump bed. I think you will find it a lot easier and cheaper to put an electric ram on it. PTO can be fitted as an after market item to the tranny on these models. However they can be quite expensive. I also have 109 wheel base models with PTO spray pumps on them and it cost me over $ 500 to change a solenoid and I had to buy the new wiring harness with it also.

I think if I were doing this I would add a small tool box in place of shorting the frame. This trucks are not made to haul heavy materials like dirt or rocks on a regular bases. But I have overloaded them on occasion and had no problems. My 14' landscape dump has a tara of 8,700 pounds so you do the math and see 3 yards of sand would put you well over the GVW. BTW I must remove my reese hitch in order to dump. The average height of a hitch should be 19" off the ground. Where and how you mound it can be a problem. My dump was installed by the dealer when new. The hitch receiver is welded into the dump bed itself and much higher than I would like it. I must use a drop hitch to reach the desired 19".