Old 03-09-2001, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

My area goes for $2.50 to $3.50 per 1K
The larger yards gets the lower rates
min yard $35.00
Old 03-10-2001, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

fertilizer in michigan

hometown you must be certified and licensed with the state of michigan. Big fines if you get caught without the proper paper work and liscense. you are better off subcontracting it to someone that knows whta they are doing
Old 03-10-2001, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fertilizer pricing is just another time plus materials procedure. Total time you will spend on property for season times your hourly rate for chemical work, plus cost of materials including your markup, all divided by the number of billable visits to the property during the season.

The problem with pricing so much per thousand ft² is that all 7500 ft² properties do not take the same amount of time. Also a 30K property will not take 4x as long as a 7.5K property, will probably only take 2.5x to 3x, but it will take 4x the materials.

So if you price at $xx.xx per 1000 ft², over time you will be keeping all the low profit (timewise) jobs, and the guys bidding time and materials will get all the larger and easier fertilizing jobs.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Millenium Member

I charge a $35 "stop" fee and $3.00 per 1000sf
Old 03-11-2001, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

iowastorm,

.03 per sq ft = $1,307.00 per acre!

Man you are no lowballer!

Or is that .03 per sq ft for the whole year @ 5 apps and not a per app price?
Old 03-11-2001, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's .03 per sp ft. for the year for all 5 apps. It ranges depending upon what we're bidding and our competetition for the bid.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TURF PRO INC., I know that i need a license and am in the proccess of geting it.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

As you can see from the previous responses, there are too many things to consider when constructing a pricing stucture to fit your individual operation. I spent hours and hours on a calculator putting together a generic price sheet when I first started and threw it away after I got a year under my belt and discovered there is more to recovering your costs and producing a saticfying profit than I could have possibly figured out until I got out there and learned from experience.
You do have to base your prices on what your particular market will bare. However, and more importantly, you also have to consider how much it costs you to provide that service (and only you can answer that).
In my area, I charge $70.00 per app. for a 15,000 lawn. There our guys that are a little higher and many that are a lot lower. In this area it is not difficult to sell at this price in other areas it would be considered extremely high others a little low. But my prices have taken all of my costs in to consideration and included a reasonable profit. As far as basing your prices on what others are doing it for, I wouldn't worry about what others are doing. Price is relative to customers expectations. If you present yourself as one who concentrates on providing an outstanding service, a superior product and good communication with your customers they will pay well for that.
Good-Luck.
Definately Get Certified.
Old 03-14-2001, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing in Pittsburgh is all over the board. I'm sure it is like that in everyones area. I,ve seen prices at $2.00 per 1000 on 25,000 sf properties. I've seen them at $7.00 per 1000 on 7000sf properties. My 2 cents is to pick the middle of the road. $140.00 40k, $70.00 20k, $50.00 10k, $35.00 5k. Hard to compete with big guys but still good money.

Old 05-04-2001, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

start off with keeping product cost at no more than 20%...that would be for all applications combined....