Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-08-2001, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, These are a classic example of to much government say so in an industry. Well, there is one on the underside of the seat of the Simplicity I just got, and it must go ASAP. Any advice, recommendations?
Old 03-08-2001, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gary,

I am not sure I would recommend bypassing the seat kill switch. Obviously it is up to you.

I don't care much for mine but have learned to work around it. My seat kill switch only activates when the blades are engaged and I am OK with that. I know with my luck as soon as I disconnected something like that I would fall off and be spit out by my mower faster than I could say OOPS! (Of course that is not what I would REALLY say!)

If you do disconnect the seat safety I have an idea I think you should consider. Rather than letting that wiring just sit there, maybe you could run that portion of the kill switch to a hidden toggle switch somewhere on the mower. When you are not using the mower you could leave the switch in the off position helping deter thieves. If they can't get the beast started, they are less likely to take it.

Just a thought...
Mark
Old 03-08-2001, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I made a seat by-pass jumper wire that I only use when the mower gets stuck. This way no one has to be sitting on the mower while trying to get it un-stuck. After I get the mower out , I then store the jumper wire in the mowers tool box.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 03-08-2001, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea thats a good idea about killing the wire, but what about if your on a hill and flip the mower it will still run and you have more chance of getting hurt. did you guys think about that one?
Old 03-08-2001, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

last summer up in the Jacksonville area ....I read that a man was mowing on a hilly berm ... the mower flip ....he fell off ...it kept running ....but sad to say his son was working near bye and he got hit with the mower still running ...the safety devices are there not to be a pain ...but to be safe

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 03-08-2001, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theleven
last summer up in the Jacksonville area ....I read that a man was mowing on a hilly berm ... the mower flip ....he fell off ...it kept running ....but sad to say his son was working near bye and he got hit with the mower still running ...the safety devices are there not to be a pain ...but to be safe

classic example of why something like this is meant by the government, thats what i meant but i never heard of anything like that. rethink your judgement on killing the kill switch
Old 03-08-2001, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO leave it alone. It only takes one of these mishaps and you'll be kicking yourself in the arse for years to come. Like eveyone will tell you there on there for a reason. Its not hard learning to adjust and just work around them, once the habit is formed its cake.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gary,
I agree that there is too much government sneaking into our lives. But our equipment is dangerous enough as it is. Try the toggle switch or jumper wire idea, then when you get back on the mower, switch it back.