Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2002, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I think a major customer in this whole scheme of things is being overlooked....

how about other contractors?

Think about it......there's how many people here on lawnsite every night asking questions and waiting for answers? If you need a bigger market than that, well, sorry, I can't help you then.

Case and point. I currently am doing design work for about 10 diff't contractors in my area. A few of them are small operations, others are large. Every time I go on a design, it always turns into, "how would you go about doing a job like this"

Most guys looking for design work are also looking for guidance on installation. I think it is a huge niche market waiting to be filled. Every day, more and more calls are coming in.

I would much rather deal with contractors all day than homeowners anyway.....well, at least most contractors!

steve
Old 05-03-2002, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only a very samll handful of DIY are likely to pay for consultation.

We do a couple of things along this line. we do maintain a lending library of books and tapes that can be checked out to help people with their projects.

As to on sites etc, we tie this to purchases. If you seek assistance from us, you have to committ to buying all of your material through us. This only works of course for those of us that maintain complete garden stores or landscape supply businesses.

I answered an ad from these Landscape Together people once, to try and find out what it was all about. They never responded.

The only market that I seem to be able to get consulting revenue from seems to be attorneys and insurance companies. They don't seem to mind paying the $75.00 per hour and expenses that we charge for this at all. Many time homeowners call seeking advice for dealing with an insurance claim, but they balk at paying for consultation. The insurance companies do it all the time, and then the homeowner wonders why they don't get as much as they think they should. Interestingly enough, most insurance claims for trees and landscaping etc end up being part of larger squabbles between neighbors and relatives. In fact I've been involved in more brother brother complaints than any other kind.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping
Old 05-03-2002, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check this out.....

I knew about this company, but had trouble finding......they do this with pools! Nice model to follow maybe????

I too have thought about this.....there is a very LARGE market that I am missing and that is the DIY...we started a thread about this in the irrigation section......

I am still working, in my spare time right?, on a model for this exact thing.....not necessarily landscaping, but irrigation......just can't get it just right!

http://www.byopool.com/about/companyhistory.cfm
Old 05-03-2002, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Only a very samll handful of DIY are likely to pay for consultation.
I disagree there. If marketed just right, and tied in with another benefit, I think they would go for it.

Quote:
there is a very LARGE market that I am missing
Yes there is. Just look at all the people that buy products at Home Depot and can't get good advice, so they come to lawnsite to ask how to lay 12"x12" "pavers" (which are actually patio blocks, not pavers)

Starting a project always sounds so easy, but once they get started, many practically beg you to finish it for them.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a major customer in this whole scheme of things is being overlooked....

how about other contractors?

Steve,

You may be right , but I'm sure the thread starter ( Mr. Stonehenge ) is not interested in helping his competition with their installations.
Believe it or not I was once asked to do just that ... I politely declined. They went under about 6 months later.