Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it too big of a risk? Or a good investment?

Ok I have already asked to many questions already. But you guy are wise. I just want to see if you guys think it is a good investment to move into the fall cleanup business. I already own a large dump trailer and do hauling. And I am investing 2500 in a 16hp leaf loader and mount and another 1000 in 2 redmax blowers. Do you think the investment is too big of a risk. Or do you think it will be a good investment. I have been told by many on this site that these pieces of equipment are the most efficient for the job. So I might as well do it right. I already have tarps, rakes and all the other small stuff. What do you guys think of the investment. My city could use it I think, we only have one pickup day in October. And we have quite a few trees. I am just making sure before I step into the unknown. Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the customer base to support the investment, then by all means do it. If you are buying this stuff in hopes of putting it to work when fall comes, you may want to rethink. Never get too far ahead of yourself. If you have the work, get the equipment.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380
Old 08-03-2005, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any cutting power? Even a small tractor or something work. This would be utilized to pull your tarps out to the road (or drive) to be vacuumed. One thing about leaf cleanup is that it works like this. If you are using air power to move them, if they are mowed first, this has a tremendous advantage. First, it mulches them a bit, but secondly, and most of all, it shuffles them to the top so they can be easily moved. This helps immensely. If you are going to use blowers, then you may want to look into a Little Wonder push blower. you will move many times the amount of leaves than what you will with any backpack. Many times, you will be able to use the push blower itself to move the leaves out to the vacuum. The key is, is knowing proficiency limits. In other words, depending on what you are using, once you get to a certain point that you aren't moving that row of leaves at a certain pace, it is more feasible to round it up real quick, and start moving a new pile. This way you are moving more leaves - faster. It doesn't take that long to tarp them and drag them, so you have to learn where to draw the line, and know what works fastest. This will determine pile size for different types of conditions (wet or dry). I hope you know what I mean, and I hope this helps. I can tell yuo this...if you're going with the Redmax blowers, then you are making a sound investment, there. A little Wonder will do you wonders out in the yard and in the wide open areas, though. BIG time.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

That's a damn fine reply. Blowing into a lot of smaller piles is a damn fine idea, it seem like common sense but it didn't cross my mind. I don't have a tractor or a riding mower. I do have a yamaha rhino, a 4-wheeler that looks like a golf cart. It has a 660cc engine and it even has a dump bed in the back (not hydro, you tip it), but I am not sure people would like me driving that in their yard. I like the idea of a little wonder push blower, but I have another guy comin in to work with me. And I think we could do a lot of damage with 2 redmax 8000's. Thanks. Ryan