Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

my story as it stands

in december of 2003 i was pulled out of school to be sent to iraq. about 6 months into the deployment i started thinking about what i could do to continue the same income i was making upon my return from the sandbox. i have been mowing lawns since i was about 9, and i always seemed to enjoy it, so what better way then to turn it into a profit. i then decided that i would start my own landscaping and lawn care business. i then had my mom send me several books about it all. after reading them all i gained a whole lot of knowledge, but not nearly as much as i did when i stumbled acoss this website. i spent countless hours at the computer reading all the things that all of you had to say. well anyway, upon my return i ended up deciding to put off this whole idea, and i got a job as a cook. a couple of months into this job i realized that i could not afford to live off of $450 very two weeks. i then went and bought a used self propelled snapper mower and a weed eater, and borrowed my dad's blower and edger. now i know that some of you believe that flyers may be a waste of time, but i took about 15 minutes and put one together and then ran down to the kinkos and printed off 100 black and white copies. i began handing them out and before i knew it my phone was ringing off the hook. exatly four months later today i now have roughly 30 accounts and counting. i have upgraded to a toro walk behind proline, and need to start thinking about upgrading again. i also just had three ads come out in the yellow pages in exchange for services; 1/8 of a page in the landscape section, 1/2 a page in the lawncare section (not only is it the first ad, but the biggest), and 1/8 of a page in the sod section. despite all of the landscaping trucks i see everyday, it's crazy how much work there still is to do. sorry this was so long but thankyou for taking the time to read it.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats one reason why i started my lawn care business, i am a firm believer that almost anyone can make more money working for themself then making someone else rich. goodluck in your new venture