Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking while mowing today (yeah, I know that's dangerous) and I was curious as to what the hell we would do if a worker or ourselves did something horrible. Does anyone carry a something more than a standard first aid kit?
Old 04-27-2000, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Myself.hehe I'm also a paramedic but I'll be damned that if I get hurt I'll drag my ass into the hospital if at all possible. You almost have to know the mentality of firefighters and paramedics to know what I'm talking about. Put it this way - if I got hurt in town I'd almost consider Lawn Care as a full time job.<br>On the serious side - fire extinguisher, clean towels, cell phone, water. If I can't fix it myself I'm in deep shi^^% and better call somebody!
Old 04-27-2000, 06:17 PM

Here is what I would recommend for a basic kit. You can buy a first aid kit or put one together yourself with the following items:<p>A list of emergency phone numbers - Poison Control Number for your area!!! <br>Adhesive bandages of assorted sizes. <br>Adhesive tape. <br>Antiseptic ointment (Bacitracin or Neosporin ointment).<br>Hydrogen Peroxide.<br>Aspirin (or aspirin-free) pain reliever, Motrin, Tylenol, etc. <br>Antifungal Powder Or Cream. <br>Calamine Lotion. Useful to ease irritation from bites and stings<br>Kaolin preparation (Pepto-Bismol), Imodium or Lomotil: Useful for stomach upsets. <br>Hydrocortisone Cream: (Cort-Aid) for topical relief of itching due to insect bites or sunburn.<br>Poison control products - syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to absorb poisons in the stomach (Do not use either of these unless instructed to do so by trained medical personnel.) <br>Triangular, kerchief-shaped pieces of fabric to be used as a sling <br>Gauze pads 4x4s and 2x2s and rolled gauze of various sizes, especially two and three inches in width <br>Flashlight with extra batteries<br>Scissors.<br>Chemical cold pack<p>Disposable latex gloves. <br>Elastic bandages. <br>Hand cleanser/soap. <br>Scissors. <br>Tweezers. <p>You may want to put a sticker on the outside of your kit as a reminder for any drug that may expire.<p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

duct tape and a cell phone what more do ya need?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-27-2000, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I carry in my truck, a first aid kit(s) that I bought at Costco/price club. fire extingusher and my own Cell/2 way nextel radio with me. In my truck on back window, I have all the phone numbers of the er's in San Mateo County which is required when spraying.<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 04-27-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

learnes the value of fire ext. the first year I started when my little Ariens Forrest Gump tractor went up in flames. Customer was on vacation, & had turned the outside hose off from inside the house-S*&%! Tried to use blower, but that fanned the flames. Ran 4 houses down, & they forgot where they put theirs. SO watched it burn. Also had no renters ins. so I ate the whole thing.<br>2 lessons:<br>1)Keep a fire ext. nearby always<br>2)Replace old loose fuel lines- <p>I also have cell phone with me, floodlight for at night, candles, winter gloves hat blanket etc. for winter, & first aid kit too. Also some snack food for rumblies in my tumbly. <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

dhicks--awsome!!! I'm gonna print that and post it in my kitchen!<p>for me--I've only gone to the ER once while doing lawn care. cut my leg with a brush axe. I was real peed over having to shut down and go for stitches.<p>no way was I gonna lose money on this job so I just rolled some paper towels into my sock and pulled my sock up.<p>finished the job...got 22 stitches at ER a couple hours later and all was going well. 'till my wife paged me. had to call her from the ER and things were'nt well when I got home. spouses...they think they need to know everything as soon as it happens!<p>GEO
Old 04-27-2000, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Super Glue works well for a substitute for stiches. <br>Kotex pads also work extremily well for pressure dressings.<br>Dont forget ace bandages.
Old 04-28-2000, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DHicks only carries all of that stuff because he lives in DC. You have a better chance of catching some stray bullets in the leg than anything that your weedeater threw up.
Old 04-28-2000, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I notice none of you guys carry kevlar body<br>armour. I thought you neede that in the U.S.?<br> Seriously I carry the mobile phone everywhere plus some army battle dressings.<br>Don't laugh about using panty liners either,<br>they soak up shitloads of blood.Also have<br>about 5 foot of gauze bandage for snake bite<br>which is a big risk here.<p>Karl<br>