Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leveling an Exmark Deck

I have an Exmark LHP5223KC. I just got it this past Saturday, but it looks like the left side is a cutting a little lower than the right. I've read the Manual to see how to level it, but the instructions they gave are hard to understand. Does anyone have an easier explanation, or should I just try to decipher what they want me to do? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sir--first make sure tires are inflated properly.

GEO
Old 08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I recently got a 48" HP and the deck was WAY out form the factory.

I am not sure there is an easy way to describe how to do it... I just followed the instructions in the owners manual. The one thing that I did to to makes things easy was to cut some blocks of wood to the sizes that manual calls for in the deck leveling procedure. One for the front, two for the back.

I just followed along step by step... it ended up being pretty easy and once you do it once... it will be a no brainier in the future.

Good luck and if you get into the middle of it with any questions... I will try and help you best I can.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help...yes the tires were inflated properly. I had a riding mower before that had a tire go down every time it was parked for awhile, so I am used to checking the tires everytime. I guess I will have to decipher those instructions tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

If this unit was purchased new from a dealer, that should have been done by them while setting it up. I would bring it to them and make them set it up correctly, and make sure you get a loaner while you are out of your machine.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Daneman,

Agreed... the dealer should have set it up correctly. In my case... it would have been a bigger hassle take it back and have them do it, since I am not an LCO and don't have it on a trailer all the time.

But... for me it was more about wanting to learn the ins and outs of my machine and get clues on how things work and how to maintain it. Leveling a deck seems like one of those things you should understand how to do. So I choose to go at it myself.

Fubba,

When starting the process... do yourself a favor and just remove all the anti-scalp wheels and the stripe roller if you have one. The manual says you can raise them to the highest hole... but they still get in the way when lowering the deck all the way down on your blocks (the ones you should cut).
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Rayo,
I too agree with you that leveling a deck is something that an equipment owner should learn to do. But Fubba, if I were you, I still would make a call to my dealer and voice my displeasure in him not setting the machine up properly, and in the end, it is still costing you time and money. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well after trying to get this one nut loose for an hour or so, I finally called the dealer who said to bring it right up so they could take care of it. A little fellow who couldn't speak english well was working on it. He didn't exactly do it the right way, or as the manual says. I tried telling him, but he couldn't really get it. It did cut better but still wasn't perfect. I think I may try to do it again this weekend. It's making me angry. Rayo, I have the bolt going through the support arms where the chain hangs down. It's got a nut on each side of the arm. Did you get this loose easily? After I get these loosened, it's a piece of cake, but they're so friggin tight. I know how to do it now though. And I understand what you mean when you say that one time, and you can do it all the time.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Fubba,

Yeah the chain bolts are a Pain. The nuts are those stared/swirled nuts that lock down into the metal. It seems like they take a LOT of force to get lose... make sure to use a 6 point socket to keep from stripping the heads off.

On my 48" I just loosened the back bolts and adjusted with the hex head adjusting/tensioner screws. The fronts are way easier because you adjust with the big nut in the front of the spring. In my case they were so far off... that on the fronts I adjusted the chain to nut assembly slightly first. Just to get things even... then took the taughtness out of the front chains with the big nut on the springs as the manual tells.

I did it like the manual described adjusting the backs first then the fronts. Cutting the three blocks to rest the deck on is in my opinion the key way to get it right.