Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2005, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Removing Pulley's From A Mower Deck Is A Real Pain

I tried using a pulley puller but after about 2 1/2 hours of screwing with it and deforming the damn thing I took it to a welding shop and they cut it off for me. Removing the spindle with bearing block housing and replacing it was no fun either. Not to mention I was working and not being paid. That really sucked, but it was better than paying the guys at the shop......I guess.

For A Great Looking Lawn Year-Round
Old 08-05-2005, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took my stander in to replace a spindle. in and out in 45 minutes. total cost $154. part 109 Labor 45. well worth it to me.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 08-05-2005, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason to take a look at Scag spindles and pulley design. They can be easily taken apart, however you generally don't need to because they last a long time.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy larger hammer
Old 08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmarks Have Quick Change Spindles Too....... While Running A Friends Crew For Him This Spring We Had A Guy Mow A Pipe...shattering The Spindle Housing Bending The Blade. What A F"""""" Mess Not To Mention The Grand Canyon He Carved In The Lawn While He The Mowed A Few Extra Passes . Had To Drive An Hour Away To Get THe Part , An Hour Back ........and 20 Minutes To Unbolt The Remains Of The Old Housing And Assemble/install The New One Including The Belt And Cover.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just put a wedge up under the pulley, put the nut on the top of the spindle so it is JUST ABOVE the flush heaught, get a piece of wood to put over top, and hit it with a short sledge hammer. The pulleys come right off.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper, remove 1-7/16" nut, pull pulley off by hand.

Helpful hint. Put anti-seize on the shaft and pulley before re-assembly.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Edwards
I tried using a pulley puller but after about 2 1/2 hours of screwing with it and deforming the damn thing I took it to a welding shop and they cut it off for me. Removing the spindle with bearing block housing and replacing it was no fun either. Not to mention I was working and not being paid. That really sucked, but it was better than paying the guys at the shop......I guess.
O.K. Here's the secret to those old pressed on pulleys. God knows I've done this before. First dose everything in penetrating fluid. Then loosen the locking screws. Look on sides of pulley, 1 or 2 allen heads. Find just the right size bolt to fit in the blade shaft but not wider than the shaft itself. The pulley needs to move past it as you pull it off. Using a 3 armed puller, Line up the arms of the puller with the spokes of the pulley. The pulley is aligned on top of the special bolt ( save bolt for next time ). Now, using a closed end wrench, put a good load on the puller but not so much that you snap the pulley. Here's the good part. Rap the shaft of the PULLER with a hammer, not to hard. The vibration will trasfer down the shaft, thru the arms, and into the pulley, breaking it free. Keep repeating until loose. When reassembling, polish the inside of the pulley with emery cloth and apply anti-seize compound.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojo23323
Took my stander in to replace a spindle. in and out in 45 minutes. total cost $154. part 109 Labor 45. well worth it to me.
It only take 30 minutes to replace a stander spindel. Remove the blade. Remove the belt. The split pully comes right off. Just unbolt the two bolts and put them in the other two holes. Which splits the pulley. Then four bolts to hold the spindle on. The spindle drops threw the deck. Simple.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous