Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2000, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey fellows, I just bought a new Toro 37&quot; walk behind gear drive. I have read most of the posts on pros and cons on the hydro or gear drive and for me I decided on the gear drive. I weigh about 140 lbs. The dealer wanted $1300 more for the hydro. (same mower). The way I see it is if I can get two years service out of it then sell it before I start having problems. It has a full 2 year warranty, 3 years on the spindles (parts only). Just wondering if you guys have any tips using these walk bebinds. Can you shift on the go, or do you have to stop and then shift on the gear drive. I purchased a jungle wheel, it has a stand with two wheels on it, it's pretty need. It has a 12.5 kawasaki engine. I've always used tractors with hydrostats and 21&quot; mowers so this is new to me. Appreciate any comments.<br>Thanks<br>Yardman
Old 04-18-2000, 06:24 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
yardy wrote:<p>&gt;Can you shift on the go<p>yes <br>
Old 04-26-2000, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yardman,<br>Why did you chose the 37&quot; Deck? Does it stripe well? How is the finished cut? I'm also thinking of the 36&quot; but you can't put the recycler kit on a 36&quot;SFS deck. The 37&quot; Recycler Deck just might be my ticket. Well sorry for all the questions. Thanks. Mowman
Old 04-26-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowman,<br>I bought the 37&quot; recycler for a number of reasons. First I have been told they do a great job mulching. Second I can get the 37&quot; deck in customers gates. Most of my accounts are average size (7500 square feet). I purchased a steel bag for picking up leaves and the mower came with a side discharge shoot. I really like the T-Bar set up on Toro's. Like you said the 36&quot; deck is not set up for recycling, only the 37&quot;. So far it does great mulching, but the bermuda and zoysia have not thicken up just yet, that will be the real test. Don't know about striping, that's new to me. Hope this helps.<p>Yardman
Old 04-27-2000, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yardman, try the Toro Atomic Blades if they make them for the 37&quot;. I put one on my Commerical 21&quot;. It does an awesome job of shredding the grass even finer than the orginal blade. If I'm not being to nosey what did you have to pay for your mower? The dealer I deal with is real good but I think his prices are high compared to the prices that are being quoted on this forum. So do you find the T-Bar easy to learn how to operate? Where are you located? I'm located in Ohio and mostly cut Bluegrass & Fescue. Oh,what size engine did you go with? Well thanks for your input on thhis mower. Mowman
Old 04-27-2000, 09:47 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
FYI<p>There is a 37&quot; recycler deck for a WB in nearly new condition for $300 reserve at<br>e-bay in the Texas area.
Old 04-27-2000, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

the toro 37 inch deck is a TORO deck. it should be a floating deck. A couple years ago, before Toro bought eXmark, if I remember correctly, Toro only had floating deck WBs, and they had a 32 inch, and 37 inch, and other sizes. I have a 36 inch toro WB, its fixed deck, i bought it last year. The dealer said its and exmark with toro controls, from what I can see he is correct. it works well for me, with 2 blades. it seems that the toro atomic blades are only available for TORO designed decks 37,21.
Old 04-27-2000, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

You can get a recycler kit for the 36&quot; fixed deck. I bought a new 36&quot; 6 weeks ago and just picked up a recylcer kit for it this week. I'll install it this weekend. It will be interesting to see how it does. The striping looks great on the 36. Is the only other difference between the 36 and 37 the fact that the 36 is fixed and the 37 is floating?
Old 04-27-2000, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro used to make a 36&quot; floating deck WB. Not real popular, I don't think they make it anymore.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope the newer 37&quot; recycler cuts better than my 5 year old one. While mulching it leaves a strip of uncut grass. When discharging it is not the most desirable cut either. I just use it for the few gated yards I have. I was wonering if a 36&quot; deck would fit this power unit???