Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2005, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I think Runner and 65Hoss said it best. Although, I am quick to say life is too short to work a job you don't like.

Hang in there with the trimming. You're getting valuable experience, and it will pay off later. Be a team player. Even the little crap jobs that nobody wants to do earns you valuable experience. Cause when you startup, it'll probably be soley your responsibility to do those things. Might as well know how to do them and do them well.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As others have said you will get more experience than you know. Master that trimmer it does make or break a job. Also, when you are able, pay attention to how the crew goes about mowing. What size machines in what areas and how fast they are. You can learn alot about what to use just by watching. You will become proficient with a mower quickly but learning where to use it takes time. Watch what the others do and learn what works.

If you plan to have your own company anyway, don't worry about what you "get to do" or who you don't like. Get a year or two experience and move on to your own thing.
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Payola-wise, I get paid 1000 dollars/month and I'm the owner, so yes, 9 dollars/hour is really good, at least by my standards. If you worked for me, you'd be earning more like 6 / hour.

Far as them only letting you string trim, well that does suck a bit but take the opportunity to learn to trim REAL good. Let me put it another way: Not until I had cut 1,000 yards was I half-way decent at it and now I'm closing in on 3 thousand yards and I can operate the string trimmer like you would not believe: I used to twirl it in my hand like a baton and even thou I could still do it, I spun it in the air some time ago and lost sight of it and instead of it flying into my waiting left hand, the engine part fell on my head instead... LOL, I haven't spun a weed-eater around since but you get the idea - Use the opportunity to become master trimster, this will help you when you start on your own.

Far as their attitude, that is the reason why I left the workplace but look at it this way: Use THIS as well to develop patience and tolerance. Not only may this help build humility as a side-effect, but these are skills you may need later on as well.

Use what you have, those people are fools so observe them closely and learn from their mistakes (as you can see already, arrogance is very irritating and a LOT of new owners and old ones do it too, they are ALL a very irritating bunch of pricks who think they OWN something and this makes them behave like utter morons).

You never know, it could work.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are right. I thought that I was good at trimming before, but I can tell that i am getting even better everyday. It sucks though, because no matter how hard I work, it never seems like my foreman is happy. Today I trimmed and blew a fairly large three building apartment complex in just under one hour which is very good compared to how long it usually takes. I was very careful not to miss anything, but he was still upset, saying he could have done it faster. Mabey he is just trying to motivate me to keep up the pace, but I don't know. I never complain about anything at work so i think mabey I just needed to vent. I do like the job I just don't think my foreman likes me very much, and I don't think he will ever tell the boss how hard I am working and improving.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

As an owner of a LCO I wish desperately that any of my guys would step up and ask for some more responsibility, heck I would like it if they would even ask a professional question now and than. Our business includes a maintanance division as well as a hardscape construction construction division. The construction side of things is growing rapidly and consuming more and more of my time. I hate to give up the maintnance side of things but the construction has higher profit margins. On that note I would hire or let one of my guys run the maintnance portion of my company if they just showed positive interest in the well being of our company. I can't speak for every LCO but showing some responsibility and overall interest in the well being of your company goes a long ways in a lot of peoples eyes.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a mower?

You stated you were interested in a good condition used mower. I currently have 3 walker zero turns. My first one is a 1997 model with about 400 hours on the second engine. It has been serviced about every 14 days since new. I'm in the market to purchase a new diesel unit and this is a gas burner.I found a good deal on a used unit when I was younger and it really helped me into the industry. This is a finish cut mower not a rough cut. You will not find a mower that gives a cut as precise as a Walker. I'm not knocking other mowers but I've had Walkers since day one and thats what we get our best service from. If your interested give me a call. Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Take the initiative

I've seen some good advice here. Follow it and take the initiative. If you have aspirations of making this your ambition in life to start your own business, stay awhile longer and learn as much through OJT as you can. Assuming you're single, no kids, etc., and living at home, this is the perfect time for you to sow your seeds in this business...while you're young. I agree, do research, take some classes, hit the library and network here. I just retired from the Air Force last year. I'm using some of the same skills I learned in the service to tie me over till I get started and established in this business and working for myself. Hard work and discipline is what it takes kid. You can do it and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. It's a free country, which is what makes this the land of opportunity and this business just keeps on growing. Investments now, early on will pay off in the future and not too distant one either.