Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2005, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

First small retaining wall

Here is a wall I did, took 2 days and a total of about 15 hours of labor...this is my first small wall that i have installed...here is the only real before/after pic of it, my camera was out of batteries on day 1...let me know what you think
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2005, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

2 more pics of the whole wall...
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

i think you did a good job. keep it up
Old 08-06-2005, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using any base material? Are you leveling those block directly on the soil? Do you have any drainage built into the wall?
If you answered YES, NO, YES to those questions then....nice job... If you didn't answer those easy questions correctly then I say....."It is people like you who give the landscape industry a bad name! That customer probably paid decent money to have you come in and install something that will undoubtedly fail! This makes you a scrub!" I hope you answered correctly, but I doubt it!

Chris
Old 08-07-2005, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

cgland...Yes I did use base material on the wall, therefore no, they were not leveled directly on the solil. And as for the drainage, in spots where i deemed it necessary i put in 1/2 inch washed rock. It was used mainly to backfill the long straight section of wall The curves do not have as much drainage to them but curves add strength to a wall and I believe it will do just fine. By the way, you don't need to be such and @ss when you reply, you sir are the type that scare new members from posting pictures such as the ones i just did
Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I noticed in your first pic that the excavation at the end of the wall is barely deep enough for the depth of your block, leaving no room for the wall to be backfilled properly. No matter what you deem suitable, you must always backfill your walls with the proper depth of drainage aggregate. It also appears that your next step into the hill with your base block will be sitting on soil and if you are using base material there is definitely room for no more than 1-2''. It looks like a good first attempt but perhaps you should have done some more research. This is not a guessing game. There is a right and wrong way of doing things.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you installed it properly, what do you have to be scared of? And by the way, Are you an engineer? It just seems funny to me that YOU can add and subtract drainage stone "where you deem it necessary". As Rakeeye stated it's not a guessing game. It's a matter of right and wrong. The pics don't lie...you did it wrong.

P.S. If you can't handle criticism (both good and bad) then don't bother posting anymore pics.

Chris
Old 08-07-2005, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeeye
I noticed in your first pic that the excavation at the end of the wall is barely deep enough for the depth of your block, leaving no room for the wall to be backfilled properly. No matter what you deem suitable, you must always backfill your walls with the proper depth of drainage aggregate. It also appears that your next step into the hill with your base block will be sitting on soil and if you are using base material there is definitely room for no more than 1-2''. It looks like a good first attempt but perhaps you should have done some more research. This is not a guessing game. There is a right and wrong way of doing things.
rakeey, in the first pic the next block was now laid where the soil sits, i would bring the block up to that point then dig down and lay around 4" of paver base compacted....but yes i will admit there is not much drainage in the curve, i did dig it a litte ways back after i set the bricks in but i probally should have went farther.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

cgland...i'm not scared of anything, i feel the wall will do just fine but it seems as though your critism was destructive, not contstructive...maybe i should stick to mowing...
Old 08-07-2005, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll stand by my work, i have no reason not to from other jobs so for...and if something happens i'll be out there asap to fix it