Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2005, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

best advice for weeds in lawns

I live in middle tenn. and it is hot in the summer. Give me the best way to keep weeds out of the lawn during spring,summer and fall. Grassy and broadleaf. What is the best granule product to use in the fall for weeds (broadleaf) over the winter? When do you put it down if you aerate and seed in the fall that will still allow seed to come up in the spring
What is the best program if you seed in the fall for weed control in the lawn year round that will still let seed germinate!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get licensed. you'll find out all those answers in the process.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're new here at Lawnsite .
You are in the business , too.
10 years in the landscaping business and you ask questions that should be written differently .
Like this ........

"I've been in the business for 10 years and would like to get some ideas from other pros in the field to expand my knowledge .
Please share some ideas with me .
Here are my questions" .....................

This way you MAY not be attacked for not having a license , that is , if you don't have one
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can also find answers to many questions by using the search function.

Your question has been asked and answered many times. By doing some work to find general answers to your basic questions, you will find other people more willing to help you with problems specific to your properties.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael carlisle
I live in middle tenn. and it is hot in the summer. Give me the best way to keep weeds out of the lawn during spring,summer and fall. Grassy and broadleaf. What is the best granule product to use in the fall for weeds (broadleaf) over the winter? When do you put it down if you aerate and seed in the fall that will still allow seed to come up in the spring
What is the best program if you seed in the fall for weed control in the lawn year round that will still let seed germinate!

Welcome to Lawnsite

The best way to keep weeds out of a lawn is to have a healthy lawn. But the best way to establish and maintain a healthy turf will vary from region to region. Timing of applications and requirement for soil types are different for each area. These are called "Best Management Practices" or BMP.

Therefore I suggest you first get with your county extension agent for a basic lawn management plan or BMP. Local Supplier of fertilizer and chemicals may be able to get you started also, But remember they are trying to sell, so may load you up.

Don't stop reading or asking question here. But from the broad question you ask, we are unable to help you. Once you have a plan of action we can help you with individual questions.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great post, Ric.

Best management practices are ,no doubt,the root of a healthy lawn!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycrest
Great post, Ric.

Best management practices are ,no doubt,the root of a healthy lawn!

Thanks Dave

Coming from a guy like your self who does traditional European Greens I will take that as a compliment. I just tried to answer the mans question as best I could without telling him now to post a Question. Seems as if some jerks feel there is a proper way to word a question. The only improper question is the one not asked.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ric,

the greens are looking as traditional as ever! WE keep getting that Florida weather..hot ,sunny and humid ...i dont know how you Floridians can stand that heat all the time. Bring on the snow
We have had minimal rain so things are very dry around here.

THe most important best practice is watering. Proper watering does wonders for weed control...proper watering yields conditions that are optimum for turf, so the turf thrives and the weed tend to get choked out by the grass. Take away the water and the grass goes to sleep and the weeds take over.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycrest
ric,

the greens are looking as traditional as ever! WE keep getting that Florida weather..hot ,sunny and humid ...i dont know how you Floridians can stand that heat all the time. Bring on the snow
We have had minimal rain so things are very dry around here.

THe most important best practice is watering. Proper watering does wonders for weed control...proper watering yields conditions that are optimum for turf, so the turf thrives and the weed tend to get choked out by the grass. Take away the water and the grass goes to sleep and the weeds take over.
David

Yes I sure thoses greens are very Traditional. Almost time for you to move back into your Winter Igoo . Come on down to Gods county we have more rain than we can handle. Water, water every where and not a drop to drink. Your welcome to take as much as you can take Home with you. However If you Poor Cheap Cancucks could afford Irrigation You wouldn't have to steal our Rain. But I do have to agree with you (Man I hate agreeing with a cancuck) that proper watering and cultural practices are key.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on now lets play nice and share our toys.