Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-27-2000, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried a double blade set-up on a Scag Turf Tiger,61" cut,or on a Scag Hydro,52" cut. The dealer acted as if he never heard of doing this.He recomended not trying this.
Old 04-27-2000, 10:01 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Most dealers probably haven't heard of double blades, unless they read this forum. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the double blade users are from this forum. I may be wrong, but I'd still think it to be a good bet. The first thing most guys think of is, will it hurt my spindles. It has not affected any spindles of mine in the past 12 seasons, but if a spindle goes bad on a mower, I would think a dealer would probably say, the double blades was the reason. I'm sure there is extra strain on them, but as I said, it hasn't hurt any of mine.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Eric<br>I have 2 36 scag beltdrives with 12.5 Kaw's. Ive been thinking about doing the two blade thing for a while. Do you use 2 highlift blades per spindle or are you using something else. Do you find that the machine gets bogged down in tall grass with the 2 blades, im concered that the 12.5 dosent have enough ass to keep the the tip speed up in the high grass. I have also asked freinds about doing this and they look at me like im on crack. But if it gives the results that you show on your web page, im all about it. I think what it all boils down to is that i need to just put the blades on and give it a whirl
Old 04-28-2000, 07:33 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Pete, If your short on power, I feel the Gator and a regular blade would be the best combo for you. The Gator has the slots in the blade which lets air through and has less drag on the motor. Try two regular blades first to see how it works for you. You should have enough power to spin them.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

We are running single blades on our Turf Tiger right now. We are starting our first day of mowing today. When i get home from school next week and take over i am going to try the double blad set up. the Turf Tiger has got the power so it should work. i'll let ya know how it works out. <br>Travis
Old 04-28-2000, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I run the double blade set up on 2 52&quot; Scag Hydros (14hp) & a 52&quot; Scag Super Z. (22hp) (Thanks Eric)I can't beleive the diferance in the cut. Works great. I'll never go back. I run gator on top, high lift on bottom.<p>Tony S.<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to try the double blade set-up on my Turf Tiger, however, I would recommend to those going to this to purchase three (3) new spindle bolts that are 1/2&quot; longer or so. I looks like by the time you add another 1/4&quot; thick blade on you may be getting dangerously thin on the thread engagement into the top spindle nuts.<p>Beyond that, I like this method of blade attachment. It beats getting under the deck with a wrench. Just jack the front end and nail three nuts with the impact to drop the blades out.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>