Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2005, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditch Witch XT850

Folks, any thoughts on this unit? Looks like it would be great for excavation, doing post holes and other general loader work. The literature on the Ditch Witch site says that the tracks are very friendly but that isn't always the case from what I've seen and heard of tracks. Even the turf tires on my mini-skid can do some damage depending on the type of grass and how wet it is.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Prod...ductView/10718

Thanks, GL
Old 08-07-2005, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a ditchwitch enthusasist (look at my signature), I'd still be wary over buying this. The reasion being that for its cost you could probably get something like a Toro Dingo which is a proven performer in doing those tasks (or it may even cost up in the fullsize skid category).

Ditch Witch tends to use unusual engines (Duetz, Pettit-Lister) which can be hard to get parts for, though their dealership (while very expensive) has been able to overnight us any parts we might need.

EDIT: Just saw it uses a Kubota engine...Perhaps Ditchwitch is moving towards more conventional engines now. Thats good.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditch Witch

I HATE DITCH WITCH BUT A BUDDY HAS 1 OF THESE ALREADY HAS 400 HRS ON IT BUT NOT HAD IT VERY LONG BEEPS THE CRAP OUT OF IT AND IT STILL RUN LIKE ITS NEW USES IT EVERDAY TO PLOW DROPS IN WITH IT ALREADY PAID FOR ITS SELF BUT YOU KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHolland
As a ditchwitch enthusasist (look at my signature), I'd still be wary over buying this. The reasion being that for its cost you could probably get something like a Toro Dingo which is a proven performer in doing those tasks (or it may even cost up in the fullsize skid category).

Ditch Witch tends to use unusual engines (Duetz, Pettit-Lister) which can be hard to get parts for, though their dealership (while very expensive) has been able to overnight us any parts we might need.

EDIT: Just saw it uses a Kubota engine...Perhaps Ditchwitch is moving towards more conventional engines now. Thats good.
It has a Kubota 28HP motor and a very unique turet excavator system and uses fly-by-wire controls. Very stong unit and yes, if very small space is an issue then get a mini-skid steer (SK350, SK500, SK650) but this is not a mini-skid steer. think of it as a full size bobcat on tracks with a built in Mini-Ex.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm hoping to get some more user input on the XT850. I'm in the market for a used one, but have not been able to find many reviews, especially in the last few years. The reviews I did find from the 2006 timeframe were mixed (some short and positive, some horror stories).

Does anyone have an experience with these that they could add? Good idea or not?

I'm looking to use one for light residential landscaping, nothing commercial.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i personally long for one, i just don't know if I could buy a excavator w/o the ability to do a 360. I think it'd be great for utility contractors.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in fact going to have one of these dropped of either tommorrow or Thursday.

I am thinking about getting rid of my Boxxer 427 for it.

J.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

J.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you buying new or used?

These don't seem to pop up all that often on the used market around here and I've not found a rental yard that uses them yet to get a better look/feel for their design. The only ones I can find lately are over 5 hours away from me, so its not like I can just run out and look at it. I'm not opposed to buying one long distance, but I'd like some confidence that these are decent machines in general before I make a trip.

Ditch Witch seems to have a good reputation, but I've read two very unsettling reviews from members on this board (blown hoses, poor welds, pumps and motor going out quickly) that run contrary to that. I've also seen a few good reviews (i.e. no problems except normal PM), but they were short on detail. I know first year models can have more problems, but some of these reviews were a couple of years after the XT850 came out. Just a little worried on the long term life of one of these with everything packed in so tight. The machines I'm looking at are in the 1000 hour range just for info.

Looking forward to more responses.

Jon
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an SK650 and its the best investment I ever made in equipment. I looked at the 850 as well, but I was put off by the lower horsepower which is about 5 less than the 650, and the fact that I could not imagine ever changing a hydraulic hose on it. The 650 is bad enough for space. I went instead with the SK650 and a bradco backhoe attachment and it has been really good. I put a 200 foot septic field and two big tanks in with it in a little back yard not long ago.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For me, I am not happy with my Boxer. Just not the machine I hoped it would be. It sits WAY more than it goes out. Not really any problems with it, just not as useful as i'd hoped.

But, I think the X850 might be a better addition for me. So, I have a job lined up where one might excell, and give me a good idea if one will work.

I won't use one as a main machine either, more of an option when we go onto the smaller digging jobs. Basically everything I thought the Boxer would do.

J.