Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 PM
MrFangs's Avatar
MrFangs MrFangs is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Zone 8
Posts: 119
How much advertising?

How much advertising do you/does your company do?

How many fliers/door-hangers?
How many fliers?
Do you have a Yellow-pages ad?
What other means of advertising do you use?

I'm just trying to get a general idea of others marketing, so I can see if I'm doing to little, just enough, or saturating the market.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
mcwlandscaping's Avatar
mcwlandscaping mcwlandscaping is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,169
I am going around with about 300 in a new development on wednesday. Fliers. Have not done anything but that and of course word of mouth advertising works the best for me.
__________________

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
mastercare mastercare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Shelby Twp., MI
Posts: 289
flyers

This spring I put out about 4000 flyers in local neighborhoods. The flyer concentrated on our fert packages, but also included coupons for 1 free cut with weekly maint, and 10% off aearation.

I got about 10 aerating jobs and about 10 fert accounts. As far as lawn cutting, I only picked up 3 accounts from the flyers.

Most accts I have picked up have been the neighbors approaching me while I'm working, and asking for estimates..... I picke up about 10 this way, and about 5 more were referrals.

So, next year I will put out flyers again.....but I realize that referrals + neighbors seeing your work is the best way. The flyers are simply a good way to gain publicity, not necessarily to target particular accounts. IF you put your name in front of them year after year, it will stick in their mind, and when they do need work done down the road, hopefully you've stuck in their mind.

No advertising other than flyers every spring.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2005, 05:59 PM
General Landscaping General Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 802
Get a book called "Guerrilla Marketing: secrets for making big profits from your small business"

It is by no means everything you need to know.... but it will get you thinking about things and put you on the fast track to effective, efficient marketing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2005, 06:14 PM
tinman's Avatar
tinman tinman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ga
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Landscaping
Get a book called "Guerrilla Marketing: secrets for making big profits from your small business"

It is by no means everything you need to know.... but it will get you thinking about things and put you on the fast track to effective, efficient marketing.
great book..marketing is everything....unlesss you do crappy work that is.
__________________
Follow Me on twitter
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20 PM
tinman's Avatar
tinman tinman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ga
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFangs
How much advertising do you/does your company do?

How many fliers/door-hangers?
How many fliers?
Do you have a Yellow-pages ad?
What other means of advertising do you use?

I'm just trying to get a general idea of others marketing, so I can see if I'm doing to little, just enough, or saturating the market.

Thanks!
if you have to ask , you are not doing enough. I have been super busy this year...turning away work in the recent weeks . Did only 3500 flyers, with a better than avg. return. Small YP ad. Word of Mouth. Next year I'm going all out with the flyers... If I can not keep up , at least I will be able to pick & choose between lawns. Of course u do not want to spend 2 much in areas that aree not working. track every call & see where your ads are working & where they are not. take money from th e non working ads & put it into the ads that do work. ( Guerrilla Marketing ....)
But it really dependa on how fast u want to grow. Rodfather says he has really done little advertising over the years EXCEPT for a referral letter to current clients asking to refer friends to him. Obviously it has workled for him. It just depends on how fast & in what direction u want to grow. Slow & steady thru referrals or fast & furious thqru lots of ads. Each has its pros & cons.
__________________
Follow Me on twitter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2005, 11:23 PM
MrFangs's Avatar
MrFangs MrFangs is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Zone 8
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman
if you have to ask , you are not doing enough. I have been super busy this year...turning away work in the recent weeks . Did only 3500 flyers, with a better than avg. return. Small YP ad. Word of Mouth. Next year I'm going all out with the flyers... If I can not keep up , at least I will be able to pick & choose between lawns. Of course u do not want to spend 2 much in areas that aree not working. track every call & see where your ads are working & where they are not. take money from th e non working ads & put it into the ads that do work. ( Guerrilla Marketing ....)
But it really dependa on how fast u want to grow. Rodfather says he has really done little advertising over the years EXCEPT for a referral letter to current clients asking to refer friends to him. Obviously it has workled for him. It just depends on how fast & in what direction u want to grow. Slow & steady thru referrals or fast & furious thqru lots of ads. Each has its pros & cons.

Thank you all for your replies!

I'm planning on having 12,000-15,000 ads put out in 2006. I plan on leaving 2-3 flyers per house, through-out the year, mostly so I can establish a name for myself.

This is my first year, so I want to grow slower, so I don't burn-out. After this year, and after I get my "feet wet", I want to start mass marketing, and hiring workers.

As for Guerrilla Marketing, I have been looking at their website after I've heard others mention it. It seems like mostly common sense. Are the books better than the website?

Cause it's all about the bills!

haha
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 AM
General Landscaping General Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 802
Quote:
Are the books better than the website?
I keep it on top of the "throne"
A few minutes each day keeps marketing fresh in the mind.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Team Gopher's Avatar
Team Gopher Team Gopher is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: -
Posts: 4,046
<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>

Hi MrFangs,

Keeping your company name out there in the consumers mind should be something done all year. You want the consumer to think of you when they need you. The Guerrilla Marketing book is great because it makes you think and give you examples you can potentially use to create your own marketing concepts.

__________________
<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td></td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.10653 seconds with 7 queries