Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2005, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

first employees

how did you go about setting up your first employees?

taxes-
did you see a person about the taxes?
did you talk to another company?

getting people-
is it hard to get a good worker?
what type of money do you give a crew?
do you get good responce running an ad in the paper?
were you scared you were going to have to fire them due to lack of work (in the start of the season)

Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellOut
how did you go about setting up your first employees?

taxes-
did you see a person about the taxes?
did you talk to another company?

getting people-
is it hard to get a good worker?
what type of money do you give a crew?
do you get good responce running an ad in the paper?
were you scared you were going to have to fire them due to lack of work (in the start of the season)

When we got to that point, much sooner than expected, we upgraded from using quickbooks simple start to qb basic 2005, in order to get the payroll feature. I was swamped & our CPA makes housecalls, so we had him come out one night to show us what we needed to do to set everything up. Probably could have done some research on the IRS website, but who has time during season to look through a huge website like that? Like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Anyway I would have your CPA help you out, get some sort of payroll software, call around to other lawn/landscape owners in your area about pay scales (be sure to describe what the job duties will entail), and last but not least when it comes to hiring have questions lined up ahead of time, be aware of physical signs prospective employee may or may not display that might give clues to personality, work habits, etc. Example may be someone that dresses shabbily for an interview, or is dirty, uses foul language, whatever, traits can divulge a good deal about a person and 99.9% of the time will transfer directly to work habits. If you do get stuck with someone that is not working out do not be afraid to let them go, bottom line for me is I'm trying to build something successful, make a living, put food on the table. However you look at it remember, you are the owner/boss behave like one, be fair but do not molly coddle.

JMO

-Geoff
Old 08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should have people provide a resume by mailing to you. This way people that actually take the time to send one proably really needs a job. Second you can see how much time they put into it. I heard some people will send it to you on notebook paper i think that should be a sign not to hire them. Then set-up interview and see how early they will arrive (should be 10-15 min early). Another thing is have them provide Dmv record when they come to interview and maybe a background check. These are just somethings to do when trying to find a good employee.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Easy way to employ!

I ran a maintenance company with 4 crews for several years before selling. I am now starting up again and have only ever used "Employee Leasing" services, aka, Professional Employer Organizations (PEO). It reduces the risks, headaches and illegalities often incurred by small businesses. It's basically a co-employment agreement for a fee. As little as $100/month per employee (what I pay). You, the business owner, are the worksite employer and do the hiring, firing, supervision, timekeeping, etc. The PEO does the human resources, legal filings, taxes, unemployment, workers comp, benefits (I have a 401K, health insurance, life insurance, section 125, and more). All you do is give the PEO company the time records prior to payday and they cut the check. You pay them the costs plus their fee. I would highly recommend checking your area for PEO. There's also a professional employer organization association on the web www.NAPEO.org that will list approved providers in your area.

Just something to think about. I can save you money in the long run...especially if you're audited or have an injured employee...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminator
I ran a maintenance company with 4 crews for several years before selling. I am now starting up again and have only ever used "Employee Leasing" services, aka, Professional Employer Organizations (PEO). It reduces the risks, headaches and illegalities often incurred by small businesses. It's basically a co-employment agreement for a fee. As little as $100/month per employee (what I pay). You, the business owner, are the worksite employer and do the hiring, firing, supervision, timekeeping, etc. The PEO does the human resources, legal filings, taxes, unemployment, workers comp, benefits (I have a 401K, health insurance, life insurance, section 125, and more). All you do is give the PEO company the time records prior to payday and they cut the check. You pay them the costs plus their fee. I would highly recommend checking your area for PEO. There's also a professional employer organization association on the web www.NAPEO.org that will list approved providers in your area.

Just something to think about. I can save you money in the long run...especially if you're audited or have an injured employee...
Oh, wow! I'm going to do that when it's time! Awesome!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just watch out for the fees. We checked into it a couple of weeks ago and they wanted 45%.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

45% of what?