Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Prototype truck photo's

OK, first of all, this isn't advertising because there's nothing available for sale. I'm not spamming this site for customers, don't call or write asking to buy anything, I'm sold out of inventory.

This is my first effort at html coding a thumbnail picture gallery page, with photo's of something I've been working on for 3 months. It's not complete because I've got a 14 inch longer scissor hoist under development to increase dump angle and load capacity. This is the only Chevy 3500 in the world that lifts & dumps over the bumper using the factory body.

I might post a link when it's complete if I don't get in trouble over this post. If anyone's got a problem with the contents, just delete it, makes no difference to me. I got my toys to play with....

2004 Chevy 3500 dumper
Old 08-10-2005, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks pretty sweet, considering you can actually keep your factory bumper. I was just going to ask if that was the Max dump angle pictured then I reread your post and see that more angle is in the works. For heavier stuff the 45* angle works ok, but for grass clippings or leaves it hardly will budge at that angle. I see too many guys at the dump fighting their dump beds with the ole pitch fork because their dump only goes to 45 or 50 degrees. Mine tilts to about 70* and I'd say that is about the target angle. I rarely have any grass stick in my bed (flatbed, not stock bed).

If you would like I could raise mine and take a pic of it, as I don't know the real angle, but I just know it works.

I am going to be in the market for a new lawn truck in the next year or so and putting a flatbed and hoist on is nearly a 3,000 dollar venture. Something like this, but with the improved dump angle is just what the Dr. ordered.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your comments. I'm just trying to correct all the defects from all the other designs dating back to the first endeavor to dump a pick-up. It's been a costly & time consuming adventure.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I tried going to it and it said "stealthdumptrucks.com could not be found."
Old 08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandscaping
I tried going to it and it said "stealthdumptrucks.com could not be found."
That's odd... I saw your post so I clicked on his link in his first post and it went right too it.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

how many lbs can those dump?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the big deal? There has been a kit available for many years that does this. Am I missing something?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes there are other kits. None of them elevate the bed over the bumper. Therefore, you've got to modify and/or weld the bumper, hitch and in some cases the spare tire & exhaust. At the least you've got to remove them just to install it. In my case, all that stays on the truck before, during, and after install, while retaining factory fit & full function.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What i'm missing is why anyone would sink so much money into a kit to dump a pickup truck bed... the beds are not structurally sound without the frame, and even if you could get away with that, or a sub frame, they still don't hold very much volume... I guess if you were a homeowner who wants a nice looking personal truck but able to do some wood hauling or small landscaping on the weekends it would be a good solution but for anyone using it to make money, seems to me a real dump bed or flatbed with a hoist under it is a much more effective and productive way of handling it...

Not to be obnoxious with this post. Neat product/accessory for trucks but again I don't think any contractor in their right mind should sink much/any money into a factory pickup bed setup. You can sell your factory pickup bed for $500-1500, buy a NEW steel flatbed for $700 or so around here anyway, and an electric over hydraulic setup for $1000... twice the square footage of a pickup bed, and as much volume as you want depending on side height. plus not having to worry about scratching up the sides from the morons at the nurseries and aggregate yards bumping your truck with the tractors....

Or be really stingy like me and buy an old dump truck dirt cheap and fix it up some... I bought my Chevy 2 ton 12' flatbed with dump for $300 and am going to have sunk in a few hundred more in paint and brakes but it looks decent now that its painted and works great. New brakes just a safe idea on any old truck.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

eric, where can I find a flatbed for my 3/4 ton for 700. Please tell me more. I was going to get a dump insert for $2800, but you might have swayed my decision