Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer Brakes

I have a 1983 Dodge Ram D150. I know I know...it's old, but runs well. Since I got my new Exmark, I've noticed it's weighed the trailer down alot. Today, there was a light rain after mowing a yard, and on the way back, I slid about 20 feet and with some help from above, barely missed hitting a truck. I think I need some electric brakes for my trailer. Does anyone know of a kit to use or a good brand? I know most nowadays plug into the computer, which my truck does not have. I know I could wire it up, but just looking for some feedback on the subject. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Figured out that I will have to get a braking axle because it is a single axle open trailer, but still carries my exmark and other riding mower with a few other things too. After that, then it's getting the electric brakes.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

u may not need a braking axle.... if the axle already has the plate where the brakes bolt to .......there used to be a trailer parts sponsor on lawnsite but i dont see thier button add right now......... check out www.dexteraxle.com they are the most widely recognized and use trailer brakes out there. the site can give u all the info u need.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I plant art is correct, a lot of trailers are made with axles already set up with the mounting flange for brakes. Look to see if there is a square flange in behind the hub on your tire/wheel. If there is, you just need to get the brake kit, and the drum which replaces the hub/bearing assembly. When it comes to wiring the brakes on the trailer, DON'T skimp on the wire, go a guage or two heavier than what they recommend even, this is your only connection to the brakes, you don't want to skimp. Also upgrade the gound wires on the truck and trailer, they have to carry the return current from the brakes and all the lights etc.