Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2005, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kohler woes

Friday was my day to fall to pieces. I have a heavy work load right now, another lco in the area got busted for drugs and lost everything including his equipment and I have picked up alot of his route. On the 4th lawn yesterday I was mowing along and all of a sudden I cant see for the smoke. I head for the trailer and lost almost all the oil in the engine before I got there.Ive got alot of oil coming from the head area on the left bank. I called my dealer and he said it sounds like a head gasket. So I travel 40 miles one way to get the parts to fix it with. Gas went up 12 cents in the gallon yesterday also and I drove 80 miles @ 12 mpg to get parts. Now my dealer was very nice, he gave me the gasket and didnt charge me for it.
Well Im off to start to fix the engine this am, BTW, its a 20 hp kohler a 2004 model with 561 hours, wish me luck cause I got 5 more yards to go today. OHHHHHHHHH let me say that after you get used to a Z, the walkbehind with a velke isnt as much fun or relaxing lol, wish me luck and yall have a good weekend
wayne

Old 08-13-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hope your right on location of oil leak ,my 23 hp Kohler did the same thing with only 200 hr on it turned out to be the governor gasket ,oil all over customers lawn and sidewalk ,
2004 exmark metro hp 36"15 kawasaki

echo srm 261 t
echo pas 230
edger,hedgetrimmer,brush cutter
echo srm 230 trimmer
echo pb 230 Ln blower
echo h c 150 hedge trimmer
echo pb 651 blower
echo pe 260 edger

an't that a kick in the head
Old 08-13-2005, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How many RPM are you turning? I've seen a lot of Kohler head gaskets blown because of excessive RPM.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kolher has been having Head Gasket problems for years now. Long about 1999 -2000 they couldn't keep them in the 25 hp. First I have heard about the 20 hp.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
How many RPM are you turning? I've seen a lot of Kohler head gaskets blown because of excessive RPM.
Not sure on the rpm, when I picked it up from the dealer new, he said he had it tuned about 3450, not @ 3600. I havent touched it so ........

Old 08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traman
i hope your right on location of oil leak ,my 23 hp Kohler did the same thing with only 200 hr on it turned out to be the governor gasket ,oil all over customers lawn and sidewalk ,
I hope this is the right place after going to all the trouble, and I dumped almost all the oil out before I knew what was going on, it pouredddddddddddd out

Old 08-13-2005, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Kolher has been having Head Gasket problems for years now. Long about 1999 -2000 they couldn't keep them in the 25 hp. First I have heard about the 20 hp.
My dealer said the samething Ric, said the 20 hp's had been really good. I should have it back together tonight or sunday and I will give it a try and see

Old 08-13-2005, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass_cuttin_fool
I hope this is the right place after going to all the trouble, and I dumped almost all the oil out before I knew what was going on, it pouredddddddddddd out
This is the reason I HIGHLY recommend running either synthetic racing blend or full synthetic oil to have that extra safety in case of this, so you don't seize your motor when this happens.

Because yes, I've seized a motor before... Only once, but it was enough to convince me to never run standard oil again.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Update And Need A Little Help

oK guys, after reading the post yesterday I decided to sleep on it and have another look this am. well Im glad I did, ,the head gasket isnt the problem. The oil is leaking from between the 2 v banks. There is a plate there and the gasket is bad. I am presuming this is the govenor housing?. Any way this am I put the valve cover back on and fired the engine and discovered this is where the leak was. Thanx again for the help and pointers, this has to be one of the best sites on the net there is. A world of info here.
By the Way...... any tips for removing this plate, anything I should know? are there weights or anything that will fly apart when I remove it? Im gonna wait till mon am to take it off, ,will be tom before I can get parts and I dont want to leave the engine open for dust and moisture to get in
wayne

Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Problems with mine too

Oil tube into engine was offset from the start, so you had to push it over with a screwdriver, or only half the oil got to the engine. Well we were changing oil about every 50 hours and you can figure out what happened. Worker did it and didn't know the tube was all messed up. Engine ran bone dry and seized. 11 months old. If Kohler doesn't honor the warranty I'm going with Kaw for life.