Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2000, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Member

My uncle and I are kicking around the idea of starting a lawn mowing biz. He was done this kind of work and know a little about what we need, however...<br>I have many questions.<p>1. We were thinking of getting 2 new toro walking mowers, (he says they are the best) and one used but working mower, just-in-case. We also need one gas powered weed eater. We will only be doing small to mid sized lawns and need to know what model mowers/weed eaters would be best.<p>2. What do we charge?<p>3. How do you contract a client?<p>4. Who do I talk to to get licenced?<p>We have limited ventrure capital and will only be in the biz for 2 summers.<p>Any advice will help.<p>Lance<br>
Old 04-24-2000, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend getting a job at McDonalds. By the time you actually learn how to do a lawn servicing you will be quiting the business and going into the military or whatever it is you plan to do with your life. Established lawn companies wether they be one man operations or large companies do not need another guy running around eroding what little bit of money we already make for the sake of putting some extra cash in your pocket. I am not trying to be mean, just honest.
Old 04-24-2000, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As soon as your done with those hardly used mowers(in two years)give me a call. If there are many other lco's in your area i would listen to what Richard said.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-24-2000, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you thinking of going into business for 2 summers?<br>Read thru some of the older posts in this forum. Use the search feature or just change the pulldown to show all discussions. <br>Spend a few hours reading the topics that may interest you. <br>You should try working for a Professional Lawn maintenance company for the 2 years. You will get a very good look at what it takes to run one. After that 2 years if you want to quit - no problem, you didn't spend any cash. If you like it you can start your own. Bottom line is that you learned something. Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2000, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In two years you probably won't have gotten <br>a decent return on your investment.Unless<br>you are planning on not paying tax,not having<br>insurance,ect.I agree with Richard,try<br>flipping burgers at Mcdonalds,you'll probably<br>make better dollars in 2 years.Even better,<br>join the Army.(Infantry,it proves your <br>man hood ! )<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-24-2000, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bother starting your own company. Established companies are always looking for new employees, hook up with one of them and you can make $8-$10 and have no expenses and no worries.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
Old 04-24-2000, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dittos on the above posts.<br>2 years isn't enough to bother with; it takes 3-5 years to get your head above water, esp. if you go full time; some less than others.<br>Best suggestion would be to work for one of the more reputable lawn care co's. in your town; you will get 1st hand exp. on most of what you'll need to know, & find out what works & what doesn't. In some respects I wish I could've done that just to get a jump start on my biz, but I've more than made up for lost time. Good luck.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 04-24-2000, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I may have not been clear.<p>I was not asking if I should I was asking how.
Old 04-25-2000, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure the other contractors in your area<br>do not need yet another mow/blow/go guy in<br>your area. If you must go with this then<br>talk to your local/state government body<br>for licensing.As for mowers,we dont use the<br>small stuff.<br>As for line trimmers,I would suggest Stihl,<br>but if your only going to be around for 2<br>years you probably don't want to spend the<br>money so go for cheap and nasty gear.<br>What do you charge? Dunno.<br>I wait with interest for news of your<br>enlistment into the army.(preferably infantry).<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-25-2000, 07:45 AM

YOu were clear in your post. And the above post are clear in their response. No need for you to invest in a lawn service business if you are going to spend just 2 years at it. No sense in us wasting our time telling you how to waste you time booting up a short term business. If you want to waste your on time read all the previous post.