Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2000, 09:51 PM

Well you take your little toro and SHINE it up real good..... as the Rock says
Old 04-25-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Salt nut, I do this part time, here are some of my numbers. <br> Mowers $18000<br> wbh mowers $850<br> trimmers $900<br> blower $600<br> insurance $1250<br> grinder $150<br> licence $900 pesticides too<br> trailers $2000<br> truck $8000<br> tools $1000 drilll press welder etc<br> I have a decent sized budget for advertising too, newspapers, flyers, business cards, truck signs etc. <br> Don't forget the gas oil repairs etc. <br> I don't even want to tell you what my barn is worth for storage.. This is not a get rich quick job. You don't need all this equipment to cut grass but it all helps. My advice for a two year plan is to work for someone else and get paid by the job and hussle your ass
Old 04-25-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

See I have no intention of competing with the 7 &quot;big&quot; lawn care businesses in town. All we want to do is residential.<br>Unload one guy starts mowing the other trims edges than blows. The mowing should be done by than. Load up and go.<p>Small time stuff here. No delusions of comercial bids or even huge lawns. Small overhead slightly bigger profit.<p>I do need to know what would be a good estimate for how much you all think I could net in one week (full swing)like this. Like I said there is no lack of clients here and I do not think 30-35 clients is too high. We could get more but if it rains we do not want to get swamped as we both are black jack dealer to and need to work nights. <p>I always work at least 70 and up to 85 hours a week in the summer so this work load will not kill me.
Old 04-25-2000, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

$35.00 for a small residental lawn seems a little on the high side. Since its your first year and you won't be getting jobs from exsiting clients you'll be mostly getting price shoppers from your ads, good luck.
Old 04-25-2000, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i say good luck to you, just make sure to do a really good job, if you havent done this before i would take your trimmer to a field and practice for a few hours(it take alot longetr than that to master but you will get the feel of it)remeber a bad reputation spreads about 10 times as fast as a good reputation also do you already have a trailer?if you can get 35 customers and keep your overhead low you will make money but i guarantee you that nothing ever goes as planned, especially when it come to financing a business, but if you work hard and do a good job and keep a good attitude than you should do good, never let anyone tell you you cant do it, after saying that i would also listen to the advise given by some of the big dogs on this site, they know what they are talking about, kep us posted on how you are doing<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-26-2000, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why did you say in your initial post that you are only going to do this for 2 years?
Old 04-26-2000, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I will be moving to points unknown in 2 years.
Old 04-26-2000, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Slt charge $40-60 an acre including everything, and do a killer job. A little extra going out of the way, is the way to &quot;hook&quot; customers.
Old 04-27-2000, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I have contacted a few lawn care places around here and asked for a ball park estimate for a housing development where all the yards are about the same size, fairly large. All told me they charge $20-$25 for mowing, trim, edge, and blow. I can not hope to make any money at all with such low prices. I did ask about getting hired but the starting wage is about $7 per hour, I could make more working at Petco again.<p>Oh well.<p>I plan to take on another Black Jack dealing job. I make about $10-$25 per hour doing that but will not get outside much. <p>So....... Good luck all.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you give up that easy i guess its best you didnt start your own business<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida