Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2005, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

dUMP TRAILERS

wHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK BOUT USING DUMP TRAILERS AS FOR YOUR MOWING TRAILERS?

THE MODEL I LOOKING IN TO IS A EZ-DUMPER EZ6814LP WOULD THIS MODEL BE ABLE TO CARRY TO DIXIE CHOPPERS PARKED SIDE WAYS?

I'LL BE USING IT FOR FULL TIME LAWN MAINTENANCE,CLEAN-UP JOBS, LEAVE CLAEN UP JOBS.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

ALSO DOSE ANYONE HAVE THE FLATDECK TRAILER MODEL LS66-20 Tandem Axle?

aRE THESE BUILT ANYGOOD? OR SHOULD I JUST GET THIS AND FORGET THE DUMP TRAILER OR FORGET THIS AND GET THE DUMP TRAILER?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just a thought, aren't these pretty high off the ground so you would need a pretty long gate to get your ZTRs up there. Also, they are heavy, why use the extra gas to pull them around when you could put the equipment on a landscape trailer that is lighter. Just my thoughts, they would make cleanups A LOT easier though!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-14-2005, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

My ears are ringing from all the yelling do you need to type that loud

Most dump trailers have solid sides so you may have to get a custom trailer made and most dump trailers have fenders that will get in the way unless you have a deck over dump.

You may be better off getting a 1 ton dump truck and a regular single axle trailer for you mowing equipment. Most of the time you can't get a trailer into the place you want to load or dump it. Most landscapers here have a dump body on the truck with tall sides its so much easier to deal with.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are some advantages to a dump trailer over a dump truck. #1 There easier to load material from a wheeled loader or take the material off.# 2 there size can be as much as twice "or more" the size of a dump truck.# 3 You can use the trailer for other things like cleaning out houses ect.

Now you have some of the pros and cons. Lets see if you get anymore

John.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A dump trailer may have a stiffer ride and will wear on your equipment a little more while traveling down the road. I noticed this when I went from a flat deck open equipment trailer (leaf springs) to my enclosed trailer (torsion axles). My equipment stays in place better because the trailer is not bouncing and wearing on the equipment as much. Not that huge of a deal I suppose but it is something to think about.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I had to do it over again (buy a new truck and trailer). I would have gotten a 1 ton with a dump bed on it, and then something like a 14ft enclosed trailer and then a 14ft dump trailer.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the info.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you buy a low profile dump trailer you can have a landscape gate made for it and i see no reason why you couldn't use it for mowers. The only downside is that dump trailers weigh alot more then a landscape trailer.

I was going to buy a 1 ton dump. But instead i bought a pickup and i am going to buy a dump trailer in the spring. I will have spent less money then if i bought a dump truck, and i will be able to haul alot more. Also, i do not have to pick my girl friend up for a date in a dump truck. Sooner or later when i start a secound crew i will buy a dump truck and use the pickup for the maintence crew. When it comes to buying equipment you need to look at how you plan to grow in the future.

Matt